The Big Debate

Should fans also be allowed to change teams during the transfer window?

Men with tempers, stop reading now…

Tim Lovejoy

It’s that heady time of summer when the transfer window edges open, and swathes of footballers are given permission to seek a better life away from whatever Siberian/Spanish/Newcastle Hell-hole they’ve been rotting in for the last few years. They get to negotiate sparkling new deals, cast off the cobwebs and move happily into a new chapter of their great lives. So why can’t football fans?

Why can’t the simple man on the street renegotiate his allegiance to, say, Wigan, and head off to the shops to buy himself a bright red Man United jumper, politely inform his family and friends that he now wants to be known as “Red Phil” as opposed to “Wigan Phil”, and then spend next season getting into fights over Wayne Rooney, all the while enjoying some actual joy in his life for the first time. Possibly ever. Is it too much to ask? Is it?

After all, it has been done before. Remember the Three Tenors? Famously there was big fat Pavarotti, the Carreras guy, and then the other one. Well, it turns out that the other one was a fantastic singer called Placido Domingo, known for the dramatic tone of his voice. And also famous for openly switching his allegiance from Real Madrid to Barcelona, and then, a couple of years later, back to Real Madrid again. All without breaking a sweat.

Even Tim Lovejoy (pictured, in orange), a huge Chelsea fan, used to openly support Watford when he was just a kind voice on the radio. If someone cool and happening like him can change his team, then why the Christ can’t you?

So during this break (i.e. this opening of the transfer window) The Spoiler would like to suggest an amnesty, a time of peace, where each man can (if he wants to) cast aside his mid-table team, and adopt a top four side. All without any bloodshed or cruel words from his colleagues/family/friends/wife. Then, and only then, he might have something to smile about in 2009.

Is this not a global village now anyway? Aren’t we all secretly from Manchester?

What say you, the people?

Speak.

NEXT WEEK: why can’t we all just marry our cousins?

• Rob // July 1, 2008 at 3:53 pm

While I know your article is facitious, I do wish I could be granted a transfer during the window. I have serously been contemplating my support for Juande Ramos and his new La Tottenham. I know there’s been a lot of players linked with Spurs but has he actually been interested in anyone who isn’t from or hasn’t played in Spain? Shouldn’t I be allowed to leave if even Robbie Keane wants out?

• Josh Burt // July 1, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Yes you should Rob, and are. Go, run free…. enjoy whichever Top Four team you choose to support. I would advise against Arsenal though. Perhaps follow Keane to Liverpool?

• 6000 // July 1, 2008 at 4:04 pm

While I would never and could never desert my beloved Sheffield United, until we are back in the big time, I am quite happy to switch allegiances when it comes to Premier League teams which I hope will kind of do OK without me getting carried away over their performances and results.
    Go Newcastle! (unless you draw us in the Cup) etc.

• Spurs - for the time being // July 1, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Rob,

I know how you feel. Five more years of Huddlestone, a team that put their slippers on the minute they won the Rinky Dink Cup, Keane trying to climb out the window, season ticket prices to make your nose bleed – what exactly am I supposed to be supporting here? Obviously if you changed you’d want to trade up, and the choices are a bit limited. The Arse would obviously be the easiest to get to, but it would be like going into the witness protection programme. United win stuff but you’d have to put up with all that Southern Manc bollocks, at Chelsea you might have to sit next to someone who either doesn’t know who the players are or thinks Hitler’s great, so one false step Spurs, and I’m off to Liverpool with Keano.

• dapadan // July 1, 2008 at 8:22 pm

well lovejoy is a plastic twat anyway so i wouldnt take much notice of what that knob does !

• tone // July 2, 2008 at 6:39 am

I’m sure you’ll find that 90% of all current Chelski ‘supporters’ did this very thing a couple of years ago, the same could be said for Manyoo fans – of which Tim Lovejoy used to be a season ticket holder.

So he’s moved from Watford to Manyoo then onto Chelski – what a cunt.

• Scarfer1 // July 2, 2008 at 7:10 am

Rather than moving to a top four team why not take the opportunity to follow a ‘real’ team and enjoy the old school atmosphere of a damp afternoon, a soggy pie and some hate filled chanting. You could have all of this an more by looking not only outside the Prem but also outside the Championship.

If you enjoy perpetual underachievement why choose Liverpool when you could choose a league 1 club!?

• Nick // July 2, 2008 at 8:47 am

Does a top four team give the best sporting experience? Or are we just talking success? I’m a Chelsea fan from the pre-Chelski era, and have been priced out of the live experience at the Bridge. I wouldn’t want to change a thing (well, not the arrival of Abramovich at least), yet the highs and lows of a mid-table team can be equally comparable to continued success. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side…

• Nick // July 2, 2008 at 8:50 am

Scarfer1, I’d go one step further. Every self-respecting fan should follow a non-league team and just savour the atmosphere!

• rebecca // July 3, 2008 at 8:59 am

lovejoy is alright!!! ha!! x