Mon

Newcastle Utd could be sold to the Bin Ladens

Toon Army unhappy with controversial takeover plans

Osama Bin Laden and Mike Ashley

Geordies are outraged today by the news that the Bin Ladens are front runners in the race to take Newcastle United from Mike Ashley. The Saudi BinLadin Group, who turn over around £2.5billion annually through their construction work, have reportedly offered £300m for the club, and they plan to spend millions developing leisure and retail facilities around St James’ Park.

Osama was disowned by his family many years before 9/11, but the prospect of having an overweight recluse replaced by lots of men with big beards is a frightening one.

Ben Linton, a 27-year-old insurance broker from Gateshead said: “I saw Team America at the cinema and on DVD, so I know that terrorism is something I do not want my club associated with.”

Boris Langley, a retired teacher from Newcastle, chimed in on a similar note: “This is disgraceful. Selling my club to known Arsenal fans is unacceptable.”

Ashley paid around £134million to gain complete control of The Magpies, so an offer of £300million just over a year later must be sorely tempting. The Bin Ladens also own shares in big American companies like Micorsoft and Boeing, so the outcry seems a little reactionary.

What do you think? Would you rather the Bin Ladens invested in your club, or some nice clean cut Western businessmen – Like the Glazers, or Gillett and Hicks? Let us know with a comment below.

• Mona ALQASSAB // July 7, 2008 at 9:43 am

OHMYGOD, Ben Linton (whoever you are), wherever it is you got ur brokerage “education” from, i can’t believe that they didn’t teach you things like politics at college, hence you would make judgement about a serious topic such as terrorism, based on an animated comedy cartoon!!! I hope this website was sarcastic when they quoted YOU saying that! Because I know i wouldn’t call all black people bad and quote Peter Griffin from Family Guy, yeah!!! idiot!!! By the way, if you need news information in the future, i heard BBC News is quite popular.

• Sir Loves-a-lot // July 7, 2008 at 9:55 am

BBC News? Never heard of it Mona – what’s their address?

• Davies // July 7, 2008 at 10:24 am

I would imagine that the news would be very badly received among ill eduated Sun/Mail reading biggots and racists in general.

The only concern that I have about the Bin Laden’s buying the club is that another new owner would bring further instability. As you correctly point out, the Bin Laden family distanced them self from OBL some time ago. Before he started killing people in fact. I’d be more worried if Freddie Shephard came back to be honest.

I don’t want the Bin Laden’s or the American’s running my club at the moment, heaven only knows there are few enough English clubs in the top flight with domestic owners.

No, I want Mike Ashley to stay put. I’d like to think that, when he says that he is not selling up, he means it. I’d also like to think that he is going to stick around and follow up on his promise to bring stability to the club.

If he does go, domestic or not, I don’t mind the Bin Laden’s investing. I don’t mind one single jot!

• Your Mum // July 7, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Surely this is a joke… I mean Ben Linton, sounds a bit like Bin Laden don’t it. And I wouldn’t sell my club to Arsenal fans… hahahaha classic.

• Lars Ulrichs Merchandise Manager // July 7, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I’ll only be suspicious when a pre season tour of Dhurka-Dhurkastan is announced.

• Fred Grieve // July 7, 2008 at 8:17 pm

All we want is stability and committment in the Club. The Bin Ladens disowned the Black Sheep of the family years ago.

It seems to me though the club is going to be flipped. It was severely under priced when Ashley bought it and for a true blue business man it may be difficult to turn a double your money return. Even at 300, million I still believe its underpriced when you take into consideration the so called values of other top four clubs.

• Dean Richardson // July 9, 2008 at 11:53 am

as long as they get behind keegan and give him money to spend. i dont care who about the politics or who is behind the scenes…. football is a game and i am sure the players would feel the same way..