Daily Democracy

Vote: Is Gianfranco Zola the right choice for West Ham?

Italian signs three year contract

Gianfranco Zola

After Slaven Bilic, Brian Laudrup and Roberto Donadoni pulled out of the race to manage West Ham, it was all down to ex-Chelsea free kick specialist Gianfranco Zola to take the reigns. The Italian is expected to be unveiled at a press conference today, and many Hammers fans are delighted by the prospect of exciting attacking football.

Yet there are some concerns that Zola’s lack of experience as a manager will hit him hard when he mixes it up with the big boys, and also that he’s far too small to break up fights between Matthew Upson and Craig Bellamy.

So what do you think? On the scale of players who try their hand at management, will he be closer to Mark Hughes, or the defensively disappointing Ossie Ardiles?

Votes and comments below, please.

• Tuckshop // September 11, 2008 at 9:11 am

On the basis of what he has done so far in his managerial career, how could anybody possibly know whether he is the right man for the job? He is promising attacking football, and I am sure he will do his best to deliver, but there is no track record to say he can deliver SUCCESSFUL attacking football. I can promise attacking football but you wouldn’t want me to manage WHU unless you were a spurs fan perhaps. However, he seems bright, keen, and a likeable bloke so I hope it all works out, but I am a little nervous. Having said that, a new manager is always exciting with new possibilities etc., and I doubt that our owners, being bankers, would have entrusted their investment to somebody they weren’t pretty sure could do the job. COYI!

• Markt // September 11, 2008 at 9:23 am

Truckstop, you said; “., and I doubt that our owners, being bankers, would have entrusted their investment to somebody they weren’t pretty sure could do the job.”

My worry is that is precisely because they are bankers they have been forced, first of all to appoint a director of football to guide them through an alien environment, and secondly have found themselves completely dependant on relying on that director of football to make an appointment that suits that individual more than the club as a whole, and certainly its supporters. They know nothing about football and are therefore reduced to acting solely on advice. The decision will only be as good at that advice.

• Upminster Iron // September 11, 2008 at 9:35 am

I agree with Markt that there is definitely cause for concern when Kia whatshisface seems to be our club’s media spokesman – it’s ridiculous that we still use his services after Tevezgate, let alone openly broadcast the fact that we are.

At the same time, I’m enthusiastic about Zola. It’s a bold choice but he’s a good guy who has made all the right noises regarding attacking football. I’m also quietly confident that he can get the best out of his former teammate Carlton Cole!

• Upminster Iron // September 11, 2008 at 9:37 am

*I know Markt was talking more about Nani and I agree that it is a big show of faith to give him such a huge say in the recruitment process – I just thought I’d throw our association with Kia into the ‘what’s wrong behind the scenes’ debate.*

• Cy // September 11, 2008 at 9:42 am

I think Zola will be great. He is charismatic, positive and most of all was a very technical player. He can relay all of these messages to not only current players and youth players, but also to prospective signings.

We will be signing players with more quality, make no mistake, and Zola will ensure the crop of players we have will perform the way the West Ham faithful would like.

He learnt his trade from Maradonna, possibly the best player of all time.

Also, he was recently named Chelsea’s best ever player.. a club are currently ranked number 1 in the FIFA rankings table.

He’ll also be bringing in Clarke, who was assistant to Jose and Avram.. not bad ?

Even if Zola leaves at the end of the season, his impact will be huge and will make the next manager’s job much easier. However, I would like him to stay for a lot longer than a season!!

Come on you Irons, get behind him, forget the Chelsea connection.

• Tuckshop // September 11, 2008 at 10:37 am

Cy 9.42

“He is charismatic, positive and most of all was a very technical player. He can relay all of these messages to not only current players and youth players, but also to prospective signings.”

The same could be said of Keegan. Would you want him? the man who walked away from the England job saying he wasn’t tacticaly aware enough?

Nobody said Zola wasn’t a great player, but what has that got to do with being a good manager? How many of the top managers in the world were great players? Off the top of my head, I imagine that most of the best and most successful managers were jouneyman pros. run through the top four in thepremiership and elsewhere yourself. Running through the best players in my lifetime in my head, the successes of Beckenbauer and Cruyff are the minority I think.

I am not interested in the Chelsea connection, and whilst he is at the helm I am totally behind him.

• Cy // September 11, 2008 at 10:50 am

I’m not saying he will be a good manager because he was a great player. I’m saying it will just give him an edge.

I would much prefer Zola to Donadoni!!