Eight reasons why Steve McClaren will get a result in Manchester tonight
Manchester City/ FC twente, 7.45pm, ITV4, Free £10 bet
While billionaires Manchester City are struggling to have any real impact in the Premier League, everyone’s favourite laughing stock Schteve McClaren is two points off the top of the Eredivisie with his new club FC Twente.
The former England boss squandered his chance to show what he’s capable of against Arsenal in August, but should take advantage of tonight’s opportunity by returning to Holland with a point or three. Here are ChickenDinner’s statistical thoughts on the matter:
1. Steve McClaren faced Manchester City eight times while manager of Middlesbrough and was never beaten, winning on five occasions.
2. During the period that City couldn’t beat McClaren, they managed three victories over Manchester United as well as wins over Chelsea and Liverpool. Significantly, the Citizens won their first three matches against post-McClaren Middlesbrough.
3. FC Twente have won their last two away games and had won four consecutive games without conceding before losing to Ajax last weekend.
4. The Dutch club haven’t lost consecutive games since the start of the Eredivisie season so should be capable of bouncing back.
5. Whereas Manchester City have won just two of their last eight games in all competitions and have lost their last two.
6. Whilst Middlesbrough manager, Steve McClaren had a good record in November, losing just two of his last eleven league matches during that period.
7. McClaren has a great record as a cup manager. In the UEFA Cup he took Middlesbrough to the final in 2005-06, reaching the final sixteen the previous year. He also reached two FA Cup semi-finals with the club and won the Carling Cup.
8. The former England boss has lost just one of his nine previous UEFA Cup group stage matches with Boro and Twente.
Super special Spoiler reader offer: Having a punt on any of tonight’s games? Get £10 of free no-strings-attached bets from Paddy Power right here. You’re welcome.