Five reasons why Manchester United will win big tonight
Manchester Utd/Aalborg, 7.45pm, Sky Sports 2, Free Bets
The last sixteen in this year’s competition have already been confirmed without any real surprises, so all Manchester United have left to play for is the chance to top their group. This is supposed to guarantee an easier knockout stage draw but with Inter Milan finishing second in their group and Bayern Munich and Real Madrid likely to follow tonight, any advantage is minimal. United are generally 1/5 to win tonight but the best value in on them winning by four or more goals, available at 4/1 with Boylesports, or to score five at 11/2 with Sky Bet. Here’s why:
1. Aalborg have let in 12 goals in the Champions League group stages this season – the second highest in the competition after five games – and conceded six away to Villarreal.
2. With their UEFA Cup spot guaranteed, Aalborg have nothing left to play for. They failed to score on their last visit to Britain to face Celtic and alarmingly have a negative goal difference even in their domestic league, which they won last season.
3. Manchester United have scored five goals in two of their last three home games over the past month.
4. And the reigning champions have conceded just once in five Champions League games this term. They have kept five consecutive home European clean sheets, letting in just one in their last eight.
5. Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to field a weakened side ahead of this weekend’s clash with Spurs but that shouldn’t affect things too much. The United side that put five past Blackburn’s first team featured no Dimitar Berbatov, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Michael Carrick, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic or Edwin van der Sar.
For more invaluable football statistics and betting information, visit chickendinner
[Research: Danny Harris]