The Spoiler’s big fat football quiz of 2008
Were you paying attention this year? Find out here!
John McCain, Jonathan Ross and anyone involved in the world banking system may not agree, but 2008 has been a fantastic year. We saw a brilliant European Championships tournament (unencumbered by the inevitable disappointment of seeing England crash out), a thrilling Champions League campaign, and we are currently witnessing one of the most exciting Premier League seasons since its inception.
Away from the field, we’ve seen countless incidents of players disgracing themselves in nightclubs, Cristiano Ronaldo has put away more WAGs than anyone thought possible, and a website that tells you everything you need to know about the beautiful game experienced its first year in business.
In celebration of all things football in 2008, we’ve lovingly compiled a quiz that should separate the Porfessor Wengers from the Alan Smiths out there. Have a crack at it, try not to cheat and please send it to a friend if you enjoy it…
1. Carlisle, Derby, Southampton, Sunderland, Stoke – whose career path is this?
2. Name the four Euro 2008 semi-finalists.
3. In January, Ashley Cole allegedly cheated on his ridiculously good looking wife with a ropey hairdresser – name her.
4. Cristiano Ronaldo won the Ballon D’or this year – who came second and third?
5. Which randy Italian said this in his autobiography?
“I was engaged four times in eleven years, and I experienced some adventures. I slept with between 600 and 700 girls, 20 of whom belong to the world of the show business.”
6. David Beckham played his second season at the LA Galaxy this year. Where do they play their home games?
7. Which three players missed penalties in the 2008 Champions League final?
8. Who did Manchester Utd beat at the Champions League semi-final stage to reach Moscow?
9. Who wears number 26 at Arsenal?
10. West Ham are now sponsored by SBOBET. Name their last two shirt sponsors.
11. Kaiserslautern, Bradford, Middlesbrough, Fulham – whose career path is this?
12. As of Christmas Day, who was Gareth Bale’s last league win against?
13. Who was the first Premier League managerial sacking of the calendar year?
14. Jimmy Bullard made the England squad for two World Cup qualifiers this year. Who were the opponents in these games?
15. Who is this Euro 2008 star?
16. Who said this in August?
‘I will never stay to live in England, that’s for sure.’
‘The climate here is something special! You get only a brief glimpse of sunlight before it’s all cloudy again. The winters are mild but in summer the temperatures seldom go higher than 20 degrees Celsius. And it rains, rains, rains!
‘In England they say that Manchester is the city of rain. Its main attraction is considered to be a timetable at the railway station where trains leave for other, less rainy cities!’
17. Who won the men’s football tournament at the Summer Olympic Games?
18. Which two WAGs appeared on this year’s I’m a Celebrity?
19. Against which side did Avram Grant play his final league game as Chelsea manager?
20. Bayern Munich, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bolton, Manchester City – whose career path is this?
21. Which Liverpool star proposed to his fiance in a graveyard?
22. The final day of the 2007/08 season saw an 8-1 scoreline, name the two teams involved.
23. An Arsenal player scored the first goal of the 2008/09 season. Name him.
24. Who won November’s Manager of the Month prize?
25. Who is West Brom’s kit manufacturer?
26. Who is this?
27. Who scored the only goal of the 2008 FA Cup final?
28. Which Brazilian said this?
“I couldn’t have got any fatter, I was running out of clothes.”
29. West Ham, Millwall (loan), Chelsea, Portsmouth – whose career path is this?
30. Cristiano Ronaldo finished the 2007/08 season as Premier League top scorer – exactly how many league goals did he get to earn him that honour?
See how you did by checking the answers after the jump…
1. Rory Delap
2. Germany/ Turkey, Russia/ Spain
3. Aimee Walton
4. Lionel Messi, Fernando Torres
5. Antonio Cassano
6. The Home Depot Center
7. Cristiano Ronaldo, John Terry, Nicolas Anelka
9. Nicklas Bendtner
10. XL, Jobserve
11. Mark Schwarzer
12. Southend (playing for Southampton)
13. Sam Allardyce (Newcastle)
14. Andorra and Croatia
15. Philipp Lahm
16. Nemanja Vidic
18. Carly Zucker and Nicola McLean
20. Dietmar Hamann
21. Jermaine Pennant (proposed to Amii Grove)
22. Middlesbrough 8 Manchester City 1
23. Samuel Nasri
24. Gary Megson
26. Tim Howard
29. Glen Johnson
30. 31 goals