Last Night's Action

Video: Carlton Cole scores a wonder goal, gets sent off

Crap ref Stuart Attwell strikes again

[Cole's goal at 2.05, his sending off at 3.10]
Wigan 0/ West Ham 1

West Ham came away from a gritty bout at the JJB with a hard-earned three points last night, but suffered at the hands of more controversial refereeing from Stuart Attwell.

Carlton Cole scored a fantastic goal in the 34th minute, but was dismissed three minutes later when he was given a second yellow for a fairly innocuous challenge. Even Steve Bruce admitted that it wasn’t a sending off, and that Attwell’s approach did nothing to quell the ill-tempered match:

“It wasn’t a sending-off, for goodness sake. There was nothing in it, and the referee needed to show some common sense.

“But I’m afraid Mr Attwell, in my opinion, is not quite ready. And the undercurrent all stemmed from that sending-off.”

26-year-old Attwell is the youngest ever Premier League ref, and was controversially promoted to the top flight this season after just one term in the Football League.

Since then, he has awarded Reading a ‘phantom’ goal, and completely lost control of November’s East Midlands derby (he booked eight, sent one off and disallowed two legitimate-looking goals). Despite these errors, the rookie always seems to find his way back onto the Premier League fixture list. Perhaps its time for Keith Hackett to give the youngster an extended sojourn in the lower leagues?

[Video: 101GG]

• Ollie Irish // March 5, 2009 at 11:56 am

Lovely lovely goal. Lovely.

• David Allison // March 5, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Whilst Scott Parker’s reaction to Cattermole’s challenge was nothing short of Oscar-worthy, it’s about time that little twunt got his marching orders. He’s put two players on stretchers with challenges like that this season (one being Habib Beye, the other against a Boro player), and only seeing yellow. Claims they were innnocent challenges then fails to make any kind of apology to the players in question…

• David Allison // March 5, 2009 at 12:11 pm

…but I suppose he did make sure Joey Barton spends more time out of action – always good news for any fan, including my Black & White self. Now if he would just put one on kiddy-lover El Hadj, it will balance everything out… just about… :P

• Carlton Goal // March 5, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Parker did nothing to warrant a red card last night. There were no malicious challenges at all in the first-half but the ref kept dishing out cards for no reason.

What started as a great game turned ugly in the second-half when Neill and Cattermole committed hideous fouls and their crowd turned nasty. If the referee hadn’t made such a mess of the first-half though none of that would have happened.

• David Allison // March 5, 2009 at 12:40 pm

@ previous poster: I think you mis-interpreted my badly worded opening paragraph; I was talking about Lee Cattermole’s red card rather than suggesting that Parker had done anything wrong.

• Carlton Goal // March 5, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I realised my mistake when I saw what you said about Barton. Apologies. Parker injured Robinho the other day so that’s why I thought he was being called a twunt!

• thursday0384 // March 5, 2009 at 2:52 pm

@theSpoiler: so we’re calling high kicks to people’s faces “innocuous” nowadays?