Communication Breakdown

Andrei Arshavin doesn’t want to email Nicklas Bendtner

Well, would you?

Thanks to his upbringing in the oasis of enlightenment known as Russia, Andrei Arshavin is a very traditional man. The Arsenal forward likes his women smoke free and without driving licences, his hair untouched by nasty foreign barbers and his mobile phone basic and incapable of sending email. If you can’t decipher the video above, here’s what Arshavin says:

Arshavin: Everybody has Blackberry in England, except me, Pavlyuchenko. What reason to have Blackberry now?

Inteviewer: …to send email.

Arshavin: Yes, but who? Just Bendtner! [Laughs] “How are you?”

While we strongly encourage needless digs at Nicklas Bendtner, we fail to understand Arshavin’s bizarre logic. As Dirty Tackle correctly point out, the reason to have a Blackberry is because everyone else has one!

Perhaps the Russian would be better suited to an iPhone – that way he could listen to his favourite karaoke tunes on the move.

• jls // March 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Arshavin – What a numpty!

He does know that Nicklas Bendtner never actually dissed him right? Or has he been reading the same mistranslated danish the rest of you have?

• Angie // March 10, 2009 at 2:50 pm

he is so strange and bizarre.

• Andrej // March 10, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I find nothing strange or bizarre about his logic. I have both blackberry and cell phone and I still believe that you can stand away from emails for the duration of your commute and that cell phones are in 95% cases for the other people tracking you rather for you to be able to call them. In other words, there is a very limited number of situations and another very limited list of professions where you really need these things. He just says what lots of “old-fashioned” people in Britain say: I don’t need this stuff! What’s bizarre about that?

• shay // March 10, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I don’t think he was saying anything bad about Bendtner. He just used the name of a random teammate.

• E.Action // March 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Doesn’t seem strange or numptyish? to me…I actually thought it was pretty funny, it’s not easy to be funny in a second language either. You guys know about jokes?

• jls // March 10, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I know jokes in four languages so Arshavin should try that on for size.

Maybe once Arshavin has done something to prove he’s worth the money Arsenal paid for him, will I accept him slagging off someone who is an excellent prospect.

• Andrej // March 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm

to E.Action:

absolutely right. He is trying hard to speak the language, and it’s not easy. Plus, some things are quit aliento a Russian guy who’s never lived abroad, trust me I’ve been there. Russians are more straightforward in their thinking, and it’s not construed as rude to answer the question about Blackberry by saying “Why do I need one?” instead of “While I agree it’s a useful thing to have I might wait longer before I make up my mind” )).

• Andrej // March 10, 2009 at 5:33 pm

to jls:

who did he slag off? As shay said, it’s just the first name that popped to his mind, that’s all. If anything, it should be flattering that he thinks about Bendtner as his first-choice email correspondent, right?

• JB // March 10, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I agree with jls, Arshavin is a numpty!

• guypal // March 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Contemporary Russia might not in fact might be the “oasis of enlightenment”, but the author of this article that sarcastically labels it as such, hardly passes for a progressively minded and fair observer either. To support your prejudices against a nation by taking a random quote of a professional athlete is hardly a piece of skillful writing. Thank you for being condescending, but perhaps next time you can read up on the achievements of Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Sakharov, Solzhenitsyn etc. … before you use this nation’s reputation to bring context to the comments of one footballer.

• Andrej // March 12, 2009 at 10:34 am

Right on, guypal!

• Andrej // March 12, 2009 at 10:39 am

If you think about it, human discourse is not as logical and linear as we believe. People say things with no particular logic attached all the time. Once again, with or without logic, all Arshavin is trying to say is that he doesn’t need a Blackberry :), that’s all!

• prateek chahal // March 12, 2009 at 7:36 pm

What arshavin meant to say that is among the people at arsenal and the people he knows, only bendtner uses a blackberry and that too for pointless emails such as ” how are you”. I say this I am of the same age as bendtner AND I have friends who use their blackberrys as if it was msn messenger…lol

• sam // April 12, 2009 at 7:59 pm

he was just been funny…trying not to be so hard about his opinion on cell phones and stuff…laugh a little people!

• Ami Kamila // May 12, 2009 at 7:46 am

Andrei, are U sure?!

• Gooner // June 29, 2009 at 8:34 am

Why do people try to read so much into it?

For me it was just plain funny