Daily Democracy

Vote: Will you be buying the new England kit?

New strip is as plain as Capello’s brand of football

New England Kit

After Bayern Munich ruined the conventional kit launch with their sexy interpretative dance routine, England decided to reveal their latest strip on the pitch this weekend before steamrollering Slovakia. Anyone with an internet connection had already seen leaked pictures of the old school effort, but the modest plain white was shocking enough for Five Live’s Alan Green to label it “grotesque”. Which, of course, it isn’t.

We at The Spoiler thoroughly approve of the new design, but we might wait until Mike Ashley’s shop slashes the £39.99 price tag before purchasing.

Will you be getting one?

Let us know with a vote and comment below…

Spoiler bonus: The kit is available for purchase on Wednesday. Pre-order it here

• Aidan // March 30, 2009 at 8:52 am

I think it is a great football kit, but I won’t be buying it.

The outlandish old school style means it would look rather odd when worn anywhere but on a football pitch.

• Peter // March 30, 2009 at 9:03 am

I don’t think Alan Green even likes football, have you heard him lately? But I think all football fans want simple plain shirts. After isn’t that why those companies selling old style shirts got so successful. My first Chelsea shirt was the now defunct Arkwright 70′s shirt.

• Ryan Bailey // March 30, 2009 at 9:08 am

I don’t think Alan Green likes life in general. He sounded extraordinarily bitter at the weekend, and snapped at Lawrenson even more than usual.

• fourstar // March 30, 2009 at 9:21 am

Like the other commenters, I think it’s a fantastic return to simpler times (perhaps a reflection of the current economic climate…OK, not really). Thumbs up.

• LFCFan // March 30, 2009 at 11:23 am

I am not sure if I’ll be buying it but I will probably be purchasing the training jacket. It all looked very classy. It amazing how many people didn’t like it. Take off the 3 lions the umbro sign put a top fashion label on it and as if by magic you have a top worth £150 worn by 50 people in the same night club…;-)

• luis // March 30, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Well, speaking of economic crisis…from a humble point of view in a country in development (mexico); To pay for the new shirt on a minimum wage (about MXP$ 60) would cost a worker around 15 pay days.

So that leaves us with the question “should my kids eat for two weeks or should a get an underwear tee and some red/blue crayons?”

Nah…food is so overrated these days. Just ask Kate Moss.

• Common Sense. // March 30, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I don’t think Mexicans are the target market for this product.

• Luis // March 30, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Common Sense. Just a tought:

“meeeeeoooowwwww!”

I wasn’t trying to hurt your little xenophobic ears or eyes with my comment, I’m sure the Mexican shirt isn’t mainly targeted at Out-of-Mexico markets, but there’s a little thing called “Merchandising” (I’m sure you haven’t heard of it on your Theology/Philosphy classes). Basically, Merchandising says “if you sell your product home, why wouldn’t you do it abroad?”

PS, I think a lot of English People agree with me in the tought that 40 Lbs for a plain t shirt with a logo is a tad bit expensive, regardless of the country you’re selling it in.