And the highest paid footballer in the world is…
… not going to surprise you at all
France Football yesterday released their annual list of the world’s highest earning footballers, and David Beckham has come out on top, with total earnings of €32.4m in 2008.
The England star is paid around £4m a year for his services on the pitch (a figure that is currently being covered by loan club Milan in giant novelty cheque form), but is able to afford rocket cars, solid gold mansions and lobsters stuffed with diamonds thanks to his endorsement deals with Adidas, Gilette, Pepsi, Sharpies and anyone else with enough money afford his beautiful face. Interestingly, he also receives a share of ticket and merchandise sales at the MLS club he has absolutely no desire to play for.
All the usual suspects feature in the top ten highest earners, which you can check out after the jump…
Top 10 List (in €)
1. David Beckham (Milan): 32.4 million
2. Lionel Messi (Barcellona): 28.6 million
3. Ronaldinho (Milan): 19.6 million
4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United): 18.3 million
5. Thierry Henry (Barcelona): 17 million
6. Kaka (Milan): 15.1 million
7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter): 14 million
8. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United): 13.5 million
9. Frank Lampard (Chelsea): 13 million
10. John Terry (Chelsea): 11.7 million
France Football has also revealed the two highest earning managers in the game. Jose Mourinho is able to treat his beloved pooch Gullit to plenty of scooby snacks thanks to his €11m annual takings. The wealthiest coach in 2008, however, is an unemployed man named Luiz Felipe Scolari, whose Chelsea contract and hefty severance package were valued at €12.5m.