Daily Democracy

Vote: Will Barcelona win the Champions League?

Spanish giants threaten English dominance in the European Cup

Barcelona celebrate after dicking all over Bayern Munich

In the first half of last night’s encounter with Bayern Munich, Barcelona were sublime. Granted, the Germans were fairly poor, but no team in the world could have competed with the Catalonians in such incredible form.

Clearly, this is a view the bookies share, as Thierry Henry and co are now clear favourites to win the competition at 13/8. Manchester Utd, who were favourites at the start of the week, are now available at a humble 5/1, behind Chelsea at 7/2.

So, will Barcelona get their names on the European Cup for the third time in their illustrious 110 year history, or will an English club show them why the Premier League is the best in the world? Let us know your thoughts below…

• Peter // April 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I’m sorry, Barca beat a poor German team to become favourites. When Chelsea dismantle a proven force in Europe (Liverpool) 3-1. But obviously their eurpoean flair means they are obviously the favourites now. (don’t forget Man U and Arsenal, both have been in recent finals), Just like Barca. Oh and there’s Chelsea too. There are a lot of very good teams left, in case you’d forgotten.

• Corrine // April 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I don’t think it matters who Barca plays because when they have their entire first team fit — which was the case yesterday, they are the most dangerous team in the world. Their form has been like this for the entire season minus a couple weeks of slip-ups and I don’t think it really matters who they face. They may have beaten a weakened German side but they beat them the attractive way (minus Butt’s face) and in the same style they’ve been playing all season. Based on this round, I can’t see another team knocking them out anytime soon and even though Chelsea were able to bag a few away goals due to suicidal defending mistakes, I’m confident that the Barca boys will put on a good beating if both were to progress :P

• Carlton Goal // April 9, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Peter, Bayern Munich have made as many Champions League finals as Liverpool, have reached the quarter-finals in 8 of the last 12 years and unlike Chelsea have actually won the tournament this decade so like it or not they are a proven force and Barcelona destroyed them.

Of course they failed to qualify last year but Liverpool didn’t qualify through league position in 2005-06 and made the final the next year.

• Evan // April 9, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Although I’m hoping Chelsea will take the trophy, it’s difficult to deny that this Barca side is built to win the Champion’s League and is arguably the best Barca side the Catalans have ever seen. The addition of Keita gave them that something extra that they needed. I do, however, hope for a Porto and Villareal upset. I think both teams are capable.

On a side note: Ivanovic the unlikely hero. Here, here!

• kenita // April 10, 2009 at 6:11 am

i’ll love to say liverpool, but i think barcelona will win

• Kaka // April 10, 2009 at 7:59 am

Barcelona like all Spanish teams have a fragile and mentally weak defence.
    Look how Liverpool tore Madrid apart.
    If Barcelona meets any English team (Arsenal doesn’t count), they can say goodbye.

• f1sh // April 10, 2009 at 11:10 am

2Kaka, we’ll see that in the semi-final against Chelsea (most likely) or Liverpool (unlikely)

• Henry John // April 10, 2009 at 11:36 am

If any of the remaining teams can test the Barca defence effectively, we should see them concede. Porto made Manchester look complacent; Barca are straightforward confident. Conceding one or two will dent that, push their game that bit closer to their own half and close out some of the 3 yards they have over almost every other team with their pace and craft. If they get to the final, they will still be better than 50/50 against any of the other 7. None of Chelsea, Manu, Arse or Liverpool are solid or infallible at the back right now and their attacks stutter. Note to ‘Kaka’//Apr 10, 2009 at 7:59 am: Madrid are not Barcelona like Liverpool are not Manchester.

• Evan // April 10, 2009 at 4:36 pm

“any English team (Arsenal doesn’t count)” haha.
    I’ve gotta say you’re right, Henry John. Aside from the fact that Madrid and Barcelona have two completely different philosophies, Barcelona is a complete team as opposed to Madrid, who unfortunately, are a bit rag tag this season. I’m not saying that the players on the squad aren’t great; because they are, but you can’t just put together a collection of great players and expect them to win everything. Every player in the Barca squad this season has a role and fits Barca’s playing style. Madrid has players bought due to injury, players in other positions, and are looking like the Galacticos of the past. They should see a major squad face lift during the summer if they hope to challenge next season.

• Kaka // April 11, 2009 at 3:29 am

Of course, it would be stupid to say Madrid is Barcelona.
    But look at the common factors. Barcelona attacking fullbacks e.g. Alves and Madrid e.g. Ramos.
    These fullbacks bomb foward, and are not replaced. Thats why I think a counter attacking team with a solid defense i.e. Liverpool, United and to a extent Chelsea can win against Barca and Madrid.

Hold the backline, man mark Messi (like United did) and counter attack.

• Henry John // April 11, 2009 at 7:48 am

Liverpool got beat by Chelsea because they can’t defend corners and were comprehensively outplayed. Madrid got beat because they can’t defend corners, were comprehensivly outplayed and can’t hit the target. Counterattacking is all very well if your team have more pace and are better organised than the other. Chelsea are gonna get dicked if they meet Barca. End of.

• f1sh // April 11, 2009 at 8:42 am

Kaka, since when Ramos is an attacking FULLBACK?????????? O_o He is a centre-back who can play on the right, he never makes runs through all of the pitch. He is similar type of player to Puyol and not Alves.
    Chelsea for that matter has 2 full-backs who always make forward runs – Bosingwa and Cole. Ur point is as valid as Arsenals title-credentials

• Kaka // April 13, 2009 at 1:38 am

I admit I don’t watch La Liga

But my point is proven any ways, because Barcelona’s Alves does go forward and does not get replaced, and that is what I wanted to get across.

Cole and Bosingwa get replaced (under Hiddink) by Mikel, Essien, Malouda or Kalou.

Bayern’s defence was woeful, Messi was unmarked (seriously who does that!?), and what happened time after time was Messi dragging out the fullback, Henry or Etoo fill that space where the fullback’s meant to be, Messi cuts the ball in, and it is a 1 O 1.

OK on to you Mr Henry John.

Manchester is the best counter team I know of, fast on the ground with great strikers a la Rooney Tevez oh and Ronaldo (forgot he was there)

Chelsea counter differently, and most effectively against Barca (in my opinion obviously), high balls to Drogba which out muscles Puyol and Pique easy. Chelsea can counter without even running. Which beats the pace of the Barcelona defence.
    Oh and Chelsea are better corner takers.

Liverpool a combination of the both.
    Quick Torres latched onto a high ball.

Arsenal not worth a mention.

Barcelona’s game plan, which I admire, is just attack so frequently that the opposing team can’t get out of their own half. Which leaves them vulnerable to counter attacks.

Oh and Fish, hope to see a Barca Chelsea semi, they’re usually the best games. Should be a shield vs sword game, with goals aplenty.

• Henry John // April 13, 2009 at 8:27 am

Well, Kaka, it doesn’t appear that you watch Premier League or Champions league football either. Perhaps you watch the lot and simply don’t get it. Take what seems to be a comment on your favoured team: Guus Hiddink, capable and experienced as he is, is unlikely to consider changing either of his first choice full backs for any of his midfield. And one of the key things he has changed about the general play of the team is to focus efforts through the middle (where he has gifted players) and stop trying to play up the wings (where he has less gifted players).

Since when has Torres ever been best with – or supplied with – high balls?!

‘Chelsea counter differently’….stop making it up in your head. Watch your next game with someone who can point out what’s happening.

• The Big Football // April 13, 2009 at 8:46 am

• Evan // April 13, 2009 at 10:46 am

Gotta agree with you on the Torres point. I can only remember the recent Reina high ball pass that was smashed home by Reira (who I initially thought was a bad buy for Liverpool; one only brought in because Rafa wants a Spanish side the same way Wenger wants a French connection ;P). I’ve seen Torres goals in every way possible BUT in the air; low crosses, rebounds, cheeky passes, or his own creation. I also don’t see Chelsea playing switches very often. Maybe you are being fooled by Essien’s pace when he runs back.

• Kaka // April 13, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Henry you generalise my comments. Chelsea or Liverpool can’t one two their way past Barcelona, so I’m highlighting the ways they can counter and beat Barcelona. I’m not saying they play like this all the time. Your misunderstanding.

As for the fullbacks, by replaced I mean when Cole overlaps, Malouda stays back. I thought that was obvious, but well, your misunderstanding.

Barcelona fullbacks overlap, and the wingers or forwards move in/near box to catch the cross. Forgets to defend.

Chelsea play with one fullback defending at all times. Wing play is the same. Drogba interchanges with the wingers to confuse the defence. He also adds that physical presence that Barcelona cannot match. Also Essien adds voltage to the Chelsea midfield circut. Your analysis is your misunderstanding.

As for Chelsea counter attacking, watch Liverpool game, when Chelsea was countering, Cech plays a high ball to Drogba who chests it and either controls/passes/loses it.

And for your humour. Torres chances which resulted from high balls: (off the top of my head) Manchester, Chelsea @ SB, Fulham, Aston Villa, Madrid, Blackburn. They include woeful defending, a bit of dribbling, a 1-2 at the end, but it’s the result of the high ball that Reina or Alonso plays out. You see it is hard to manage a bouncing ball, and Liverpool takes advantage of this. Understand?

Henry, I don’t know why your so bitter. Is it because I laugh at Arsenal? or because I dismiss Barcelona as beatable?
    Don’t make it personal, if I’m wrong point it out. I know, you misunderstood, and I’ll forgive you this time.

• Henry John // April 13, 2009 at 1:42 pm

It is your inconsistency, lack of basic understanding of the game of football, incessent self-contradiction, flogging of an already dead horse and general naivety that is ‘wrong’ and this is what has been pointed out. When someone points out, with credible argument, that I am wrong – in general terms or otherwise – I have the good grace to accept and acknowledge it, not just twat on about ‘misunderstanding’ and deliver a stream of ill-informed tripe. You are wrong both factually and by general concensus. I support none of the team mentioned in this thread.

• f1sh // April 13, 2009 at 3:02 pm

yo, Henry. I do not see what Kaka said in his last post as something that lacks understanding. He gave examples of what he said and well it is true to an extent, maybe u have a different view, but u can’t say that it is “wrong” for the sole reason that u have differing opinion.

• Henry John // April 13, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Ah, no I get it! You’re on the PC downstairs aren’t you…? It’s my missus isn’t it?! Good one love…you got me that time. You know how it winds me up, the whole ‘I’m a footy berk’ routine. What’s for tea?

• Kaka // April 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm

shhh

• f1sh // April 14, 2009 at 8:57 am

Henry, get it up ye

• Frank // April 16, 2009 at 1:05 am

I’m sory for mi vocabulary but I am argentinian .I love Lionel Messi and I think he is the best player in the world , although Cristiano Ronaldo too. Barça will win the cup , in the final vs. Manchester United .Xavi and Iniesta are the best middlecamp players.(mediocampistas ).I think that premier league is the best league in the world, but Barcelona FC. can win to every teams in this league. Thanks , Frank ( Franco o Franquito).

• Henry John // April 16, 2009 at 7:18 am

Frank, your vocabulary is fine – better than some native speakers! – although Xavi and Iniesta….? The best….? Agree on prediction for final and possibly the win but, likewise, Manchester can beat any team in La Liga on the right day. Luck, form and attitude on the night will go a long way.

• Y-KENNY // April 21, 2009 at 3:24 am

lmao @ Henr John!! That’s a fantasy!! MAN U could not even beat Villareal on four different occassions!!! Or were they not on their best days on the four different occassions?? lol!!! BARCA is the greatest! Let’s face it here guys and stop greasing up ur favorite clubs outta ignorance!!! Man U never wins convincingly!! hey even won carling cup by pk and all those knda bull-shit!! Barca wins by shutting out the opponent!! That’s why they’re considered the best. Because they are very convincing. MAN U is not!! Hope u understand!!

• Henry John // April 21, 2009 at 6:38 am

Hmmmm, well. I had to ask my daughter to translate but I think I get what you’re saying. So, you’re talking about the Villareal that ISN’T in the semi-finals, yeah? Not in the semi-finals for the 3rd year running is it, or did they not make it to the CL last season? The discussion at this point can only really be about those teams that are still in the competition can’t it? Otherwise you’d be talking about a wierd, non-existent fantasy. So, if you take one hand and hold it up…OK…and now count the number of trophies that Villareal have won in the last 17 years. Now, do the same for Manchester United. See! You’ve run out of fingers! Now do the same for Barca. Yeah, Villareal, they’re quite the unstoppable machine…