Barcelona/ Manchester Utd

Revealed: The starting line-ups for the Champions League final

Spanish press claim teams have already been decided

Barcelona/ Manchester Utd line-ups

If you thought you were going to have to wait until next Wednesday to find out the starting line-ups for the Champions League final, you were quite wrong: our amigos in the Spanish press have peered into the future, and brought the teams back to the present for your consideration.

AS claim Pep Guardiola has already settled upon his formation, with the only debate being the left-back position. They believe Seydou Keita will be played out of position over Sylvinho and Martín Cáceres, but fail to give a reason (we suspect it is because he has played more this season). Crucially, none of the players in the starting line-up will face Osasuna at the weekend, and no one in la Liga will threaten to sue them.

Meanwhile, the folks at Sport have published an article entitled ‘Ferguson already has the eleven that will face the Barça in Rome’, and in it they reveal that Nani and Paul Scholes will be joined on the bench by Carlitos Tevez and Dimitar Berbatov. Apparently, they will play with Cristiano Ronaldo up front on his own, much like he did in the semi-final at The Emirates.

Do you believe the Spanish press’ assertions, or should they leave the predictions to Mark Lawrenson and Nostradamus? Let us know your thoughts below…

• McRib // May 20, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I don’t like the look of that Barcelona backline. Puyol will offer nothing going forward and Rooney will have the legs on him in the wide areas.

Put him in the center and let him bully Ronaldo.

• Jim // May 20, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I thought Keita was suspended due to the red card he received? correct me if Im wrong?

• McRib // May 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm

It was Abidal who got the red card, not Keita.

• Andre // May 20, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I suppose tapas create clearvoyant abilities? While the line-ups look logical the chess game is afoot. Look out for Fergie to spring one of his usual surprises. I won’t be surprised to see Tevez or Berbatov in the mix.

One thing for sure is that Man U is wearing their USA-inspired white kit for the final. It’s already on sale with the FINAL ROMA 2009 – 27TH MAY – STADIO OLIMPICO embroidery.

Anything to get our money eh Nike & Glazer?

• Matt // May 20, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Is Puyol not suspended as he was booked vs Chelsea?

• Joe's Mum // May 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm

You could put me in the center to bully Ronaldo the soft portugese tart..

I like a good diver (muff)

• MUFC // May 20, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Henry and Iniesta fit??? Even if they start, i doubt they’ll both be 100%. These are the only 2 who impressed me against chelsea.

Etoo invisible, Xavi marke dout of game, Messi cant cut it against english teams (10 games vs english teams…..0 goals )

I agree with the line ups, united more defensive, Barca more attacking.

United to win 2-0

• Andre // May 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm

O’Shea is now confirmed to start by Fergie.

• Mark // May 20, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Puyol is out I thought

• Man of the 'tic // May 21, 2009 at 12:32 am

He was suspended for the second leg of the Chelsea clash as a result of him hitting his yellow card limit but is eligible for the final.

• Jim // May 21, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I think Man Utd will win. Barca will not ne able to handle the likes of Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and the MIGHTY Ji Sung Park (I think he is AWSOME). We might be missing the SUPER Darren Fletcher but our players are rested and ready to explode! Barca I believe are still sweating over the fitness of Thierry and Iniesta.

• Silvia // May 22, 2009 at 9:47 am

Since about 2 weeks Henry and Iniesta were training everyday to play in Rome’s final, but possibly they won’t be 100%.

I’m a Barcelona’s fan but I’m not totally sure they can win, Man U is a very strong team. However, I will support my team: visca el Barça!

• ben // May 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm

i am very sure of barca…a litle problem is with Keita in the defense, but with the attacking force messi, eto’o and Henry,very confidence of the victory…….please change keita or warn him, that opportunity/ Historical game is very importance!

• wilson spore // May 25, 2009 at 8:09 am

Sorry to man united fans but I think when I look at Barcelona , they are going to ROME with a straight thought…. maybe cause a upset, but if MAN United wins I believe they will make history in England , but I am A barcelona fan in 2009 …….hope to see a cool game

• froggy // May 25, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I know my reds will go matching in Rome.Barcelona can’t compete with us

• andy roneey // May 26, 2009 at 2:43 am

Manchester United IS THE BEST NO. 1 in Football

• Meet ucle Jony // May 26, 2009 at 6:26 am

i want Barca to win
    1-1
    pen 4-3 to barca

• SammyBoy // May 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm

MAN UTD will take this game! Even though tevez or berbatov aint gona be playn.

• jack // May 27, 2009 at 9:12 am

man u all the way
    ranaldo super scorer super fiisher

come on man u

• The Sun exclusively reveal that they read Spanish newspapers | The Spoiler // January 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm

[...] Tevez and Dimitar Berbatov will start the Champions League final on the bench, before naming an identical starting line-up to the one we discovered two days ago on Spanish website [...]