Roman Abramovich proves that he is better than you with £300m superyacht
Just over a year ago, we showed you a sneaky spy shot of the M/Y Eclipse, the largest privately owned yacht in the world. Since then, its owner Roman Abramovich has lost around 40 per cent of his wealth and has been forced to cut back on staff expenses for his current fleet of superyachts, but the Chelsea owner is still expected to take delivery of the vessel in 2010.
Here’s a gentle reminder of some of the ridiculous features of the 550ft boat:
* A small hospital staffed by a private medical team
* Bulletproof glass, underwater cameras and a missile detection system
* Anti-bugging equipment windows have flash sensors to warn of paparazzi photographers
* Six guest suites and five VIP suites, all with bathrooms and balconies
* A large outdoor swimming pool for WAG Daria Zhukova to splash around in
* A gym, sauna, steam room, spa and several hot tubs.
* Two £1m helicopters with indoor hangars
* Four pleasure craft and 20 jet skis
* A cinema, aquarium, exhibition space and disco
* A £2m, 12-seater submarine for diving and secret escape
The Eclipse is a rather grand defiance of the current economic situation, but it is also proving to be an increasingly expensive one for a man who is expected to fund some big money transfers in the closed season: last year, the yacht was thought to cost £200m, and now that figure is said to be somewhere nearer £300m.