Greedy Child

Hang on, how many teams did young Robbie Keane support?

Keane – big football fan

Robbie Keane

If you ever pluck up the courage, walk slowly to the back of a bus, and ask the group of terrifying youngsters – with their pot, and their homemade “shivs” – which football team they support.

One of two things will happen. Either you’ll disappear under a dust cloud of angry feet and fists for daring to be so old and still talking to them. Or, each one will say exactly one team.

Unless, that is, one of them happens to be a member of the Robbie Keane family. In which case, it’ll be two.

As the Scottish transfer window slowly came down, Celtic made a grab for the Irishman on loan, with Harry Redknapp happy for the deal to go through, being that apparently Robbie had supported Celtic as a boy.

“He’s a big Celtic man, it’s a dream come true for him.”

Yet, compare that to Keane’s move to Liverpool just a couple of short years ago, and you might remember him saying this:

“I’ve been waiting for this day since I was a kid. Everyone knows I am a massive Liverpool fan, so to be sitting here today in a Liverpool tracksuit is a dream come true.”

Begging the question – does Robbie Keane just support absolutely everyone?

• anon // February 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

He lied about being a Liverpool supporter in a feeble attempt to appease angry Spurs fans after he stabbed them in the back

• spursbhoy // February 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

Being a celtic supporter is a bit different – anyone who’s Irish will support Celtic, and can have another team as well. I’m a Spurs fan, and have been a season ticket holder but I also support Celtic. It’s possible to love two clubs.

• Faizal Mafia // February 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

Yeah me too…ever since i watch Braveheart Celtic feels right for me…and i sarport Manchster UNited and Arsenal and Real Madrid also

• TottenhamBlog // February 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

My boyhood team is Tottenham, but over the years I have considered inventing another boyhood team, so I could be spared the disappointment of supporting Spurs.

Obviously I wouldn’t pick Liverpool though, because they’re rubbish.

• Erik // February 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

He has a history. When he went to Milan he said that they had always been his favourite Spanish team, and when he went to Leeds he told the local press that he had always loved Bisto on his chips.

PR man’s dream is Robbie

• Roy // February 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

Faizal – You are an imbecile.

• Brazilyid // February 2, 2010 at 11:25 am

Ok I’m a Spurs fan and have know for years that growing up Robbie was a Liverpool and Celtic fan. Why do people find it so hard to understand most Irish people will have no choice but to support Celtic due to the Catholic connection. Will will also find most will ever support Liverpool or Manchester United as there English team. Unless you are ROY Keane who supported Spurs and Celtic. Does that make sence now?

• Mooreso // February 2, 2010 at 11:30 am

Its not uncommon for someone from ireland to support several teams. celtic and rangers are usually one cos of the whole religion thing, plus a big premiership team. its also not uncommon to support a third from the local league. prob shamrock rovers in robbies case?

• Wilberto // February 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm

It’s either Rangers or Celtic by default then your own chosen team.

• Sean // February 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm

That some of those who comment on this page are a bit ignorant is excusable I suppose – that someone like you who purports to be a serious jouranlist is, and has a headline like this, is not.
    Supporting Celtic or Rangers is part of Irish culture (for a whole host of cultural and historical reasons), and supporting an English club is also seen as perfectly normal in Ireland. The two are not seen as being in any way contradictory. If you do not know this you are very ignorant, adn shuoldn’t be disseminating your opinions. If you do know this, then you are being deliberately prejudicial. In either case, you have just joined Tribal Football as being a site whose articles I shall no longer oprn or read – a particularly feeble state of affairs as you are looking to generate revenue via advertising and I, for one, shall be making my feelings about your site known in the future!

• sheimo // February 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Roy – I think Faizal’s joking!

Sean – We don’t read The Spoiler for their journalistic integrity. We read it because it makes us smirk behind our computer screens whilst being bored at work.

• Dan // February 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Too right sheimo, The Spoiler has got me through many a hard day at work! If you don’t like it Sean don’t read it. Keep up the good work lads!

• Karl // February 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Its common for Irish lads to support celtic as well as a premier league team.

• Karl // February 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm

It’s common for Irish lads to support celtic as well as a premier league team.

• jordan // February 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

yeah, i’m from northern ireland and i support rangers and newcastle
    it’s the whole sectarian divide thing

• Suzanna Roberts // February 3, 2010 at 11:35 am

OK, if this is true he should of said so instead of only stating one team each time, i was a big fan of his, now i don’t trust him.

• karim // February 7, 2010 at 12:14 pm

i guess the celtic thing is normal since he is irish.
    as for Liverpool its inevitable since he grew up in the 80′s..

I support Liverpool but also enjoy watching and cheering on Barcelona and my local team Victory.
    but its Liverpool any day