Disappointment Update

Capello should have picked Wes Brown, suggests Neville

*cough* “Pick me!” *cough*

Capello and Neville

If you happened to be passing through the rather more civilised areas of Manchester last week, you might have passed a jogger who looked almost exactly like Christian Bale in The Machinist, hurtling down country lanes, muttering aggressively to himself.

Don’t worry, it was probably just Gary Neville running the anger away after not making it into Fabio Capello’s preliminary England World Cup squad.

He’s not bitter though. Why would he be bitter? In fact, who said anything about being bitter. What’s your problem?

Anyway, he said this, as reported in today’s Sun:

“I wouldn’t say I’m overly disappointed not to be in the initial 30-man England World Cup squad.”

“I thought there was a chance I could get in but I was under no illusions how tough it would be, after not being named in the squad for a year.”

“I’m slightly surprised there is only one right-back in the entire squad, but I’m probably more surprised Wes Brown isn’t in the 30.”

He then went on to calmly discuss the attempted swoop to drag Paul Scholes from retirement, saying this:

“Capello maybe got a bit desperate at the last minute and wanted Scholes because he is still probably the country’s best midfielder.”

And then, presumably, he wept.

Poor Gary… right, guys?…. guys?

• kimblim // May 18, 2010 at 10:18 am

Like The Neviller or not, he is right about Wes Brown. Carragher is not as good and he doesn’t feel any pride about playing for England.

• Dan // May 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm

The reason Carra quit was not because Rio & JT start before him, but because McClaren was bringing on Upson or Lescott before him. He’s called up to travel all over the place and doesn’t get a touch?

Don’t talk about Carra’s pride he always gives it 100%

• kimblim // May 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm

“He’s called up to travel all over the place and doesn’t get a touch?”

That’s international football for you when you’re just not good enough.

“He always gives it 100%”? Maybe for Liverpool…

This is straight from his book:
    “If I loved playing for my country as much as my club, perhaps the thought of retirement would never have occurred to me. That it did shows me I made the right call. I wasn’t giving up my football career or my ambitions. Only England.”

• Dan // May 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

just not good enough? Sure maybe not to start but to bring on Upson, Lescott or Brown… are you telling me they’re better?

England turned their back on Jamie not the other way around… Well in Capello for calling him back up.

• nick // May 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Even as a United fan I can’t stand Gary Neville.. Dude needs to keep his mouth shut a lot more often than he does. He is just pissed off because he managed to convince himself that he was on the plane.. Imagine spending 4 weeks stuck in a hotel with that tosspot!

Wes has not been playing well – I know Carragher hasn’t exactly been on fire either but
    I think Capello picked Carra as cover for Rio as much as anything else.

King is awesome (but unreliable) and Dawson isn’t going to South Africa (in my opinion)

• venga malaga // May 18, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Typical Liverpool supporter.
    Carragher was not deemed good enough by the then England manager and went off and sulked.
    His comments in his book are just sour grapes ment to sell more books to scousers – after all who else is interested in his crap musings? England fans? hardly, did anyone notice he played.
    Interesting that you say about his pride, it looks like it all got swallowed when Fabio called!!

• Dan // May 18, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Whatever mate, I think we can all at least agree that Carra will be a help not a hindrance at the WC can’t we? Whenever called on you know he’ll do a good job.