U!S!A!

Americans react rather childishly to getting beat(en)…

Ahh, the New York Post is at it again…

New York Post

Regular visitors to the site might remember a hilarious New York Post headline from a few weeks ago, concerning the England match. It went some way to proving that, actually, our brothers from numerous different mothers have a fine grasp of self deprecating humour.

And now for the follow up, which comes with a presumed tongue poking in educated American cheeks, whilst simultaneously reflecting the consensus amongst the more rural flag waving banjo players that riddle their beautiful country.

That’s a headline that works on at least two levels, then. Very clever. Or, as you might put it, “very awesome”.

• Got Soccer? // June 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Not disagreeing with the childish nature of the headline. It is stupid and very despicable. I don’t imagine people from England might react in the same way if they got excited about an American football competition and then lost, would they? Unfortunately, in the US, the voice of an angry stupid few can sometimes become the loudest. This is not a unique case, though. It happens in countries across the world. Look in any history book for an example. Also, The New York Post is not known for journalistic integrity. See numerous examples of hysterical tabloids in your country for examples of what that means. It’s not WWII anymore (don’t we Americans always get blamed for bringing that up anyway?).

That aside, have you seen your own press lately? Honestly, go look. It’s pathetic. It’s like they thought England had a chance! Instead of posting on here about what you thought possibly went wrong with the England/Germany game and who is to blame, why not own up to the fact that you have a mediocre to above average side at best? Instead, the arrogant quality you ascribe to Americans (there is some truth there, yes) really can be found within yourselves as Englishmen. You think you’re better than you are. The rest of the world tries to be polite, but go to the continent, for example, and ask them if England really have/had a chance. They’ll laugh at you.

As the World Cup has dragged on, I cannot help but notice that both of the writers on this site have continued to focus in on and attack Americans. You have an odd fascination wtih our country, no? The fact of the matter is is that the English are more like the Americans than they are different. That’s why you define yourself against us rather than simply defining yourself positively. You just happen to think, well, at least we’re not as bad. Wake up. The rest of the world hates you too and was glad to see England crash out.

This site actually used to be pretty good. However, ever since Ryan Bailey left, you clowns at the helm can’t seem to put much good out there. It’s sad that since the World Cup has started there have been an increasing number of posts that attempt to rouse English self-esteem through anti-American antics. It’s too bad, though, since you were already losing enough readers ever since Bailey left.

• JoshBurt // June 28, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Hi “Got Soccer”, thanks for the massive comment. Erm, did you notice the complimentary pro-American nature of the post? It appears not. As they might say in your homeland, “paranoid much”?

• Richard Gilzene // June 28, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Either GotSoccer? is the most angry man on the Internet, or “banter” is a foreign concept in American sports. (It’s not.)

Well played on getting the obligatory “things aint what they used to be” swipe in as well.

• Got Soccer? // June 28, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Look, I have been a faithful reader of this blog for years. I understand that it can be hard to make a transition after writers leave. That’s precisely why I still continue to read it. I still have faith.

My point is this: in my mind, there have been some posts that have been anti-American. I can appreciate jokes about one’s culture as much as the next. However, when the content seems to be more focused on playing into stereotypes about culture over football/soccer on a consistent basis, it becomes irritating. I’m not asking for clean, PC, etc.

• Jmartin // June 28, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Burt – I am an educated, flag waiving, “rural american” and somehow I missed the “complimentary pro-American nature of the post” – even after reading it several times. Probably because it was not there. It is a backhanded swipe at us “banjo playin country folk” who don’t care much for the game.
    It is a matter of perspective, really. I gave the Cup a real shot this year – watched a lot of games, tried to pick up on some of the subtleties of the “beautiful game” – but all of the flopping, the exaggerated non-injury “injuries” the terrible officiating, and the excrutiating lack of offense just makes it tough to watch for a culture raised on NFL Football. Those guys get their body pounded on every play – then get right back up and do it again. Watching the Algerians burn up time with “injuries” where no contact even took place makes the entire game a farce. Officials do nthing to stop it, and FIFA will not step into the 21st cetury to correct blantant terrible calls. The Post headline is astute to point out that, from an American perspective, many of the aspects of this game are in fact “stupid” — but don’t make it an editorial comment or our “uneducated” culture. How do you make the leap from “Soccer freindly nation” to “educated nation”? Your “snooty” comments are another major turn off for guys like me who truly want to learn more about the sport, but are snubbed as a “stupid Americans”. Bash America for being a crappy soccer nation all you want – but why take it down the path of being “uneducated” or “stupid” to not enjoy the game? It makes no sense, and it cheapens your point of view.

• agiamba // June 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

The NY Post is hardly the most reliable newspaper. It’s a stupid tabloid, like the Sun.

• itsmewhoareyou // June 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm

i wonder what happened to my post but here it is again..
    nobody, NOBODY, says ‘very awesome’..
    and, england? … the new USA.
    remember when everybody used to make fun of the USA? tadaaaa.. you have just been substituted in, england.

• JoshBurt // June 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Jmartin – thanks for the comment. I think something might be lost in translation here. Firstly, you quote “uneducated”, but it’s not a word used in the piece. I feel you might be mistaking a bit of gentle ribbing for something altogether more sinister. I happen to like Americans very much for the most part. As for your point about NFL players getting knocked down then jumping right back up again, this might have something to do with the rather over-elaborate use of body armour in the sport? If the Algerians you used as an example were wearing bullet proof vests and padded Lycra shorts, they mightn’t have made such a meal of things?

• Jim // June 29, 2010 at 12:41 am

Well said, Josh. Contrary to your experience with other American commenters: yes, some of us do appreciate the humour. I found this headline hilarious, because it so perfectly captures the sentiment of some over here–we care if we win, we pretend not to otherwise. (Just wait for yet another article about how great we would be if LeBron James and Chris Johnson only played soccer–another tired symptom the same disease. It’s coming, I promise.)

Personally, I hate that we lost. But, on the other hand, I thank God we didn’t have to play Germany.

• Ivan // June 29, 2010 at 1:30 am

US didn’t know soccer until 1994. Stop the hysteria, the US team is playing to its player and management potential. Build the team and the sport patiently for another 20 years and the results will come. It will overtake baseball as a no.2 sport in popularity, and US should be a top 8 World Cup nation on regular basis.
    And as to articles as the headline above, the haters already are in the minority…they are a dying breed(literally)…so I wouldn’t pay my attention(although I see the attempt at humor in the headline)…

• Section1Guy // June 29, 2010 at 7:25 am

The inevitable stories about LeBron and Chris Johnson are legitimate though. Watch the world cup and see the difference between the American players and guys like Vittek and Cahill…These guys are athletic specimens. They’re also badasses. Our athletic specimen badasses play other sports.

I’ve become a pretty big soccer fan over the last few years. I will never ever ever ever ever understand why the rolling around on the ground is tolerated.

Even the ESPN British commentators are sick of it.

The writers of the article seem to understand that the headline is facetious at best. On the other hand, after you make that distinction to the readers who wouldn’t understand it, you still say oh there goes those silly Americans again.

Soccer will never be the #2 sport here. It will never be the #3 sport here. I absolutely think it can overtake hockey though, and in international competition it has. We got excited for USA-Canada hockey in February, but it was nothing like that youtube video of the Landon Donovan compilation.

• venga malaga // June 29, 2010 at 8:16 am

for 40 years i’ve been a supporter, player and follower of all types of football – domestic, european, international – all of it, its a part of my life.
    Right now though, as an Englishman, the Post is right – this sport IS stupid and I fucking hate it. (Until next season)

• Blahdyblah // June 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm

It’s a shame that people read anything from NY, the dumbest city on the planet. Soccer is getting bigger here, and the U.S. has some great potential. This world cup was a massive step for us, and we’re only getting better. As for England, I feel bad for you guys. Better luck next time.

• David // June 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Josh, are you telling me that you think over-embellishing challenges and injuries (supposedly) isn’t the case 99% of the time in this sport? I’m quite a fan of this sport, more than any other, but this kind of nonsense tarnishes it as well as keeps it down.

You may not care if the sport takes off here, but I do. And you can tell me it’s the most popular which is definitely not up for debate, but that doesn’t make it flawless. Americans may be looked at as intrusive, but if you can honestly tell me you’re happy with a sport that involves guys flopping around like they just got kicked in the old sack or marbles or sniped from the stands by Rambo along with bogus no goals and ghost offsides calls that can easily be cleaned up, then you are just as bad as FIFA for keeping the sport back.

Add another American rant to the tab.

• Jose // July 3, 2010 at 1:22 am

Same here, until FIFA takes this game into the 21st century like rugby, cricket, hockey, and every professional sport in existence of consequence, we won’t care except once every four years. Plus, I agree that your team needs to take a long hard look at how it operates as it appears that an indifferent USA will probably win a world cup before England does again…