Massive Letdowns

The Spoiler’s Disappointing World Cup 2010 XI

If they had faces, they’d be blushing

Disappointing XI

Okay, it’s important to define what “disappointing” means, because it’s very much a blanket term.

In the case of the above XI, some disappointed because they teased the planet all season, then failed to blow everyone’s minds when it really mattered.

Others disappointed because they were supposed to be the best defenders in the world, and they each played a shocker.

For one or two, this was their time to announce their arrival on the world stage, and they just so didn’t grab the bull by the horns.

In general terms, it means playing for England, France or Italy – with the exception of Ronaldo.

Oh, and one man makes it into the side because he patted the ball into his own net against America.

Lucky to slip the net were Fernando Torres, Felipe Melo, Steven Gerrard, and Kaka.

Thoughts?

• John // July 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm

HAHA, England is very prevelant in this list…although I agree with it.

I was wondering if anyone else thought that Glen Johnson would be better used NOT as a right back but as a winger where I think his strengths are. Is that just me or did Liverpool and Capello muck this up like I thought they did?

• Jamie // July 13, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Lampard? Really?

Guess we weren’t watching the same matches or maybe you were simply more disappointed with certain teams over others. There are plenty of players I would’ve called out long before Lampard.

• TreeFC // July 13, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Kaka certainly lived up to his name

• noir7559 // July 14, 2010 at 1:50 am

i know u hate england dat much…but Lampard shouldn’t be on dat list, same with de Rossi. Melo deservedly did

• Saad // July 14, 2010 at 2:29 am

I feel evra’s inclusion is a strange one. While he didnt set the stage alight, it wasnt a shabby performance. Maybe theres not enough left backs to point the finger at

• Missy // July 14, 2010 at 2:38 am

Is it any coincidence that the two most dysfunctional teams in the World Cup (England and France) provided the majority of the disappointments? It was obvious France had a mutinous team…but given their solid qualifying run…I didn’t think England was going to be so disjointed. I blame the mind-numbing vuvuzelas and Capello’s Sensory Deprivation Unit at Rustenberg.

• Laurent Blanc // July 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

Lamps? Naah. He was actually good against the Germans. I’d replace him with Gerrard.

• Delboy Dublin // July 14, 2010 at 11:45 am

As far as slipping the net goes, Felipe Melo wasn’t a disappointment. He was exactly as crap as we all knew him to be. Voted worst player in Serie A last year and that’s some achievement in that league!

• Marc // July 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Did you even watch De Rossi play? The guy was immense in the first two matches and doesn’t deserve to be there. Although before I get too vociferous the rest of the team is pretty good. I personally think Torres was far worse than Ronaldo all things considered and just by virtue of being a better player Vidic should be there instead of Terry, thats about it though.