Uphill Battle

Thierry Henry attempts to promote US soccer on the news

“So.. err, when does the season start?… oh, it’s started!”

It’s no secret that soccer finds itself ranked at around 5th or 6th in a US top ten of sports. Above it, you’ve got American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Prom Night Tongue Hockey, and possibly Competitive Clown Dancing.

Whether Thierry Henry can do more to boost soccer’s profile than Becksie managed remains to be seen, but judging from the above interview, he’s got his work cut out.

• em k // July 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm

So. Embarassing. It’s Fox…it’s not real…it’s Fox…it’s not real….

• TangoAlphaLima // July 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I’d just like to point out that the hosts of Good Day New York are two of the worst “journalists” in the U.S.

The show and hosts are repeatedly featured on a weekly TV clip show, The Soup, that displays the worst television of the week. This is even more notable because Good Day New York isn’t even viewed outside of the New York area. When they make fools of themselves, it’s enough to compete on a national level.

In conclusion, this is as bad as journalism gets in the U.S. Not everyone is as ignorant about soccer/football as those two morons.

• tavin // July 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I LOVE Henry’s reaction when they said soccer….priceless!!!!

• David // July 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Fox: Congrats! You just won the World Cup!
    Henry: I did?!?
    Fox: Oh, wait. Did you?
    Henry: No but I played in it.
    Fox: Oh, and now you play for us… great!
    Henry:…

• eltigreferoz // July 21, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Viewing this makes me more uncomfortable than a Lukas Moodyson flic. But, really, these Fox a**clowns were already a joke. It’s like they googled “soccer” a minute before the interview began and just rolled with it. Good grief…

• Alexandra // July 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm

This makes me feel ashamed to be from the US.. :/

• Brian // July 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm

This is a farce to journalism, do some research on the game, the player and soccer in general this does not bode well for the future of soccer on the news

• robert // July 21, 2010 at 8:42 pm

im an american and i just want to say that these ppl r totally disgusting and really only reinforces the fact that henry is a class human being.

• wen wei // July 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm

OMG, what can i say? yea yea, big scoring games, go back to your basketball

• El Pep // July 22, 2010 at 12:00 am

Tiarry Henry just won the World Cup … man, Americans.

• bx // July 22, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Ugh Fox 5… I’m from New York and I can tell you that no one WITHIN New York watches this program either! The female anchor got the job because her family own a chain of Italian restaurants, and her co-host? It’s beyond me.

I’m beyond embarrassed!

• Bill // July 24, 2010 at 1:41 am

Don’t worry, it wasn’t a real news. Conscious Americans know that “Fox News” is an oxymoron. Check out Landon Donovan at the ESPY’s if you get a chance. Much better example of where American association football is really at.