Quote of the day

Nicolas Anelka dying with laughter at French clowns

Story depicted using Photoshop skills

Anelka clowns

Nicolas Anelka said this on the subject of his massive international 18-match suspension:

“The so-called punishment has no relevance whatsoever because, for me, the French national team was an issue which ended on June 19 when I was kicked out of the training centre at Knysna.”

“This is just to entertain the public, to turn the page because Laurent Blanc needs to be able to work in peace.”

“These people are clowns. I am dying with laughter.”

Thoughts?

(via our pals at Pies)

• Sophie Stepover // August 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Arrogant. Unprofessional. And disrespectful of his country, his fans and the sport itself.

He should have said his issue ended with the COACH (or coaching staff) on June 19…and left out any references to the national team and the public.

They should have fined Anelka six months wages on top of the suspension. Maybe that would stop his peals of laughter.

• matt // August 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

it’s a national team, they don’t pay him wages and thus can’t fine him wages, idiot.

also, he’s done nothing wrong in the slightest. he’s merely pointing out that the ban is simply a parade as he has no intention of playing for the national team again anyway following their backing of an abysmal coach against a player standing up for the team and complaining about how things were being handled. this is proven by the fact most of the team backed him over their own coach and refused to train…

• Sophie Stepover // August 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I know the national team doesn’t pay him wages. I should have been more specific and said they should have fined him the EQUIVALENT of six months wages.

I wonder if Anelka were representing his country at the Olympics…would he go on strike to protest the idiocy of the coaching staff? Or would he try to win the gold in spite of the coaching staff? I suspect he’d suck it up.

• Darren // August 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Despite his slightly harsh tone, I do have to agree with Matt’s points. A ban is irrelevant for someone who has already said they won’t play for their country again. I’m always surprised at people who think that international football is the be all and end all of everything; not everyone thinks that way. Some players actually see their loyalties as being with the people that pay their wages, and are therefore quite happy not to play for their country again (whatever the reason).

I’m a United fan and I wish that Patrice Evra had received the same “punishment”. I’m thinking of taking it up with UEFA, in fact. Do I want the world’s best left-back to not have to travel to the back of beyond for meaningless friendlies? Hell no! Would I rather he had every summer off and rested ahead of the new season? Damn right I would.

The person that really loses out here is Blanc. He’s had some of his best players stripped from the team just so the FFF don’t (in their opinion) lose face. When the French end up playing Abidal, Govou and Gignac because better players aren’t available, and they don’t qualify for the next European championship, they’ll realise who lost out.

• carol // August 18, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Sophie’s comments are completely moronic. The photoshopped photo is hilarious.

• Sophie Stepover // August 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm

And your contribution to this dialogue is what Carol??? Oh yes. The use of the word “moronic”. Thank you.

Darren…I know it’s selfish but I do admit that I would rather see my club’s players devote all their energies to league games…however…I still say that if someone commits to playing for a national team…they should honour that commitment. Maybe I’m old-school..but I believe there should still be a sense of pride and duty associated with representing your country–whether in sports, business or politics. If you don’t think your country deserves your dedication…or your prime minister/coach is a nimrod…don’t accept the call-up to the national stage.

• nix // August 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Sophie – you raise some good points but I don’t think you are looking at this from the team’s perspective. Domenech was a complete idiot. Anelka respected those duties of which you stated, yet, Domenech couldn’t fulfill HIS duty to competently coach/manage his team. When Domenech couldn’t respect the team for what it was then how should the team be expected to respect him? The difference is the team TRIED to respect duties even after a horrible EURO 2008. Domenech stubbornly made horrible decisions and didn’t value the team privileged to him. Anelka is probably the most respectable player on the team because when shit finally hit the fan he was man enough to call the manager out for his incompetence.

• Sophie Stepover // August 18, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Nix…your view is nicely articulated. (As was Darren’s.)

I agree with your statement that Dommenech was a complete idiot. And I’m certain the team found him exceedingly frustrating and difficult to play for him. But didn’t Anelka (and the rest of the team) know this BEFORE they went to the World Cup?

I just think they could have handled things differently and still got their point across in a more professional, respectful manner.

But…it looks like I’m outnumbered in here on this issue…so I shall quietly slide my soapbox back under my desk. :)

• carol // August 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm

My contribution was just to highlight the awesomeness of the photo.

• carol // August 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Why should he be punished by and pay money to an organization that doesn’t pay his wages? It’s like a charity suing its volunteers for money on grounds of disrespecting the incompetent boss.

If what the gossip rags say is true, then Domenech can sue Anelka for defamation. The thing is, Anelka states that he only said “I won’t stay in the front,” and “deal with your team.” Disobeying orders, which Joe Cole repeatedly and continuously did last season, but you didn’t see the Chels taking him to court and going all Mutu about it.

If the FFF follows your legal council and goes for the cash, then they lose whatever thin thread of respect they are hanging on to in the eyes of the public. Anelka could just ignore the fine, as he should only care about the FA. He ignores the fine, further embarrassment. They take it to court, FIFA might see it as even more governmental meddling in Football and might seek censure.

They want to hide this stain, not smear it.