THE MAN IN BLACK

Brazilian referee stabs player to death after free-kick row

Officials hit finally back… with fatal results

refereewhis.jpg

A Brazilian referee is on the run after fatally stabbing a player during a match in Barriera, northeast Brazil on Sunday.

According to Marca, local referee Gregorio Edio Francisco Chaves, 26, attacked Jose Ramos da Silva during a dispute over a foul. Police reports say Chaves stabbed da Silva in the chest before turning on the 28-year-old’s brother, knifing him in the back multiple times.

Despite being treated by doctors, da Silva died at the scene. His brother, Francisco Chagas da Silva is currently recovering from his injuries.

• Laet // August 24, 2010 at 6:44 pm

You bleeping sensationalist idiots, it was a street game, not an official one, and it certainly was not as bloody as, say, a pro like O.J. Simpson could make it. The “referee” is not a true referee, and your “news” is just a piece of typical American… er, I mean, mierda americana.

• Laet // August 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm

… or mierda britanica, pick one.

• Jorawar // August 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Lol, I hope this is a case of “mierda americana”, British journalists are bad enough as it is.

Quite funny to see imbecile bloggers being outed as the vile repeaters of hearsay, without any real evidence, that they are.

Good job Laet.

• Fred Widdowson // August 24, 2010 at 7:51 pm

That’s amazing and they have the nerve to show a picture of what looks like a real referee. This is infuriating.

• Laet // August 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm

OK, I went after the REAL story. It was not a “street game”, but it was an amateur event, no official link whatsoever to it. As Fred Widdowsonn remarked, it’s infuriating to see a photoshop’d image of a TRUE referee just to give the item more… er, flavor? What is the word you’d use at the newsroom? And why did The Bleacher Report convey such a ****** piece? I guess vultures will always be vultures…

• SCJ // August 25, 2010 at 2:34 am

I’ve grown accustomed to bleacher’s on the button reporting since I’ve been receiving their reports, so its therefore disheartening to learn of this type of “BS” coming from such a trusted source. Its a big difference from what was reported in this instance and what the facts really are. I hope due care and attention is given to future posts.

• Samantha // August 25, 2010 at 4:09 am

I’m confused, what part of the story is inaccurate except the random picture of an official? He never said the game was a pro league but just said he was a referee. Whether he was a referee of an amateur league or not still makes him a referee. If there is more to the story please let me know so I can fill in the blanks for my blog :)

• SCJ // August 25, 2010 at 5:15 am

Brazilian referee stabs player to death after free-kick row… Take another read of the HEADLINE of the article…. Then take a really good look at the ACCOMPANYING PHOTO…. The headline of any article usually sets the tone for the rest of the story I’m sure you would agree, so therefore its not difficult to deduce what the intent of the article was/is. Sensational to say the least.. To argue that he never said the game was a pro league but just said he was a referee, is an unacceptable explanation of an obvious intent to make a mountain of a molehill. Remember to whom much is given much is expected, and the bleacher report is respected by many around the world including myself and we look forward to its insightful views as they usually are.. Bleacher usually report on premier league affairs
    and leagues of that stature around the world, so its only natural that one may immediately think that the report was on a pro league game…. Since when does bleacher report on road side, amateur or minor league affairs…. This is where the inaccuracy appears, and I doubt very much that was a random picture of an official. It was obviously intended to support the story’s intent.

• kel // August 25, 2010 at 9:08 am

I can’t believe there are 8 comments on this story of people arguing about whether the ref was pro or non-league when somebody has been killed.
    Way to get your priorities straight guys.

• Orlando // August 25, 2010 at 11:45 am

This is purely a BS report.It leaves more questions than answers.Did refree carry a knife to the pitch? If yes,is that permissible ? Did he conceal the weapon?The victim and brother are they team mates?,etc.This is a prime example of junk journalism.

• Peter Perigo // August 25, 2010 at 11:54 am

It is indeed sad that a referee can be that cruel. He needs to be jailed because he does not understand that players get frustrated on pitch, but it is part of the game because they want to win. I’m bitter, the idiot is a moron a twit and he is just a fucked up bustard. How does he kill a player when it is just a game.

• Laet // August 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Kel: You’re right, the main point IS that a man was killed, this is NOT a sports news item. Orlando: I’ll try and answer your questions. Jose Ramos da Silva, aged 28 and his 24-year old brother Francisco das Chagas de Silva were playing for a local team in the small town of Barreira, located 72km from Fortaleza, the capital of Ceara state, northeast Brazil. It was a recreational, unofficial game against a team from the nearby town of Redencao, and a man called Francisco Edio Gregorio Chaves was picked on the spot to act as referee – something that is very common in a nation so devoted to football. When Jose Silva complained about a foul, Chaves pulled up the knife he was carrying and stabbed him in the chest. Francisco Silva tried to help his brother and Chaves stabbed him in the back four times. Police Lt. Cledson Maranhao affirmed neither the attacker nor the victims had any criminal record. In summary, an item for the police or crime section of local newspapers, a very sad incident, indeed. But, as SCJ pointed out, the item was presented in a way that seems suspicious at best. “Officials hit finally back… with fatal results,” was the inadequate bait. Also, the blog cites Marca as a source, which is not a Brazilian newspaper. It is a Spanish sports publication that acts mostly as a Real Madrid promotional vehicle, certainly not the ideal source for getting the facts on a police incident that happened thousands of miles away. Samantha: I hope you’re not confused any more. And may I respectfully say Francisco Chaves is NOT a referee, he’s just a violent person who killed one man and tried to murder another. By the way, I did read the Marca item used as source, but I also checked two Brazilian newspapers – real ones, not sensationalist rags.

• Enapes // August 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Silly primates, America is industrialized! Only the blacks in America kill each other over an idiotic dispute in a sports game.

• monroe1200 // August 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Why do you people keep bringing up America? This has nothing to do with America, it only goes to show your ignorance, dumb@sses!

• Soo Bing // August 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Wow, thats just mesed up dude. I mean seriously.

• merda americana // August 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

mierda is spanish. I think you meant to say merda, which is portuguese for feces. Typical American.

• Laet // August 25, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Well, it seems the KKK has left the building… to join the debate. Also, I’d be honored to be a “typical American”, but I’m not, I prefer to consider myself a citizen of this globalized planet.
    Aliás, posso lhe assegurar que sei falar e escrever muito bem no idioma de Camões e Machado.
    Solo he utilizado la expresión en Español porque es el segundo idioma en los Estados Unidos y un poco más conocido en el Reino Unido.
    De toute façon, je croix que le mot ‘merde’ est parfait pour définir votre commentaire. Quel amusement!
    Saluti ed auguri per tutti (razzisti esclusi).
    Auf Wiedersehen…

• SCJ // August 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm

You racist dunce, keep your stupidity and ignorance off the airwaves. If you can’t make a simple comment on a topic, then don’t make any. This is about an incident in a sporting dispute, how come black people are now your target? Your skin color is no judge of character you fool..

• Abe // August 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I think your “racist” is just trying to make a point using sarcasm.
    Why do all Americans have to be grouped into the same category? We don’t consider all French people clowns because of their National team’s circus… We don’t consider all third-world country inhabitants “poor” because of their locale. So, maybe you can realize that some Americans are more “globalized” than you’d open your mind to see.

Also, this is sports worthy news because it’s an eye-opening view of how extreme violence is somewhat accepted (according to Laet: “…something that is very common in a nation so devoted to football.”) in the way of recreation. Even though it’s common, it’s quite ridiculous.

• Laet // August 27, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Abe: I said picking up a bystander “to act as referee…” is common, I did NOT say such violence is common. It’s quite interesting to see how readers will pick up the meaning they want, and not what the messages actually say. In any event, I do agree that it’s unfair to group citizens of any country into any category, as some are fond of doing. Oh, well…

• Ebinum Gabriel Osele // August 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

I don’t seem to understand,is it that players & referees are not checked before they enter the pitch?For a referee to enter the pitch with a knife means that there is no security.I blame the management for that.Moreover I think the referee has some hidden agenda which he don’t want to disclose.He probably had a grudge towards that player.He should not go unpunished for this dastard act.He is cruel to have killed somebody in coldblood.I rest my case.

• Ashu // August 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Shame on Bleacher sport, shame on a couple of Americans who exposed their ignorance. You can’t even finish a paragraph before your racist outlook comes up! Your opinion stinks. Don’t even talk about industrialization, leave to the others who have better ways to say that.

• freefootballbettingtips // April 6, 2011 at 4:52 am

SO SAD.but i think there is more deep reason why it happens.and how come the referee bring a knife inside the arena where the game located?its a big question mark to all the guards and organizer of the event.