I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

Mascherano pledges to respond to Liverpool’s ‘lies’

Currently the smuggest man alive? Yes.

mascherbarca.jpg

Barcelona new-boy Javier Mascherano has shot back at Roy Hogdson’s accusation of the midfielder being ‘selfish’ by claiming Liverpool have been rather economical with the truth throughout the Argentinean’s transfer saga.

Speaking to the press in Spain, the 26-year-old revealed he’s had one foot out of the door at Anfield for at least a year – and the Reds may be telling porkies in suggesting otherwise:

Roy Hodgson knows the truth. This is a happy moment for me so now is not the time to say it, but a lot of lies have been told about me and I will respond to them.

Last year Liverpool would not let me leave. There was no way they would sell me. They had Xabi Alonso and me, and they would only let Xabi leave. I was disappointed not to be able to sign last season. When the best club in the world calls you, then it is something that you want to happen.

I have signed for the only club who really wanted me. In no moment did I ever think that Inter was a possibility. Rafa valued me and perhaps that is why people started saying that I could go there but this is the only club that pushed to sign me.

Time will tell whether Javier does actually have anything to reveal or whether he’s simply trying to stir things up before swaggering off into the Catalan sunset.

However, his comments on last week’s Inter drama beg the question: if a deal was never on the cards, why didn’t Rafa just come out and say so?

• tony // August 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm

truth was you pig liverpool pulled you out once before it happend to you west ham. short minded person all liverpool fans can respect the fact you wanted to leave .
    not at the price you or barca want it take two clubs to agree.
    but what you did before man city to your team is low.
    you really have nothing to say actions spoke high.

you must be a very low person .

• Bill // August 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Mascherano needs to realise that when he signs a contract it is a commitment to give his services to his employers for the proscribed period of the said contract. Just because he fancies a change of continent and club is not a reason for his employer to agree to his request. I also thought he was claiming it was because his family had not settled on Merseyside, now he is claiming it was to play elsewhere. Javier, please get your stories straight if you expect some credibility.

• Andrew Thorp // August 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm

No time for the player at all, & not just because he has left. Even in Red he was a dirty player, a liability at times, he never wanted to play for Liverpool he was a money grabbing Argie !

Best rid of him, we paid too much for him as well & so have Barca. Thank heavens he’s gone !

• Liam // August 31, 2010 at 2:39 pm

He was probably upset about the Falklands :’(

• Sophie Stepover // August 31, 2010 at 2:40 pm

If “now” is “not a time to be saying” anything… why do you keep talking Mascherano?

Cheer up Liverpool…at least with Raul Meireles you now have a true professional midfielder in your squad–instead of a whining, deceptive malcontent.

• Take a breather... its 'only' football // August 31, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Yeah, he looks better in the Blaugrana

If a player wants to move, let him

Keeping an unsettled player is not a good idea

Plus, if you could get over the loss of Alonso, (you did, didnt you?), you can get over the loss of Masch.