THE POPULAR AND LONELY

Life is hard for Real Madrid’s two new signings

Language barrier a problem for Sami Khedira and Mesut Özil

mesoezil.jpg

Jose Mourinho had a Real Madrid debut he’d probably rather forget on Sunday, after a summer’s worth of ‘The Special One’ buzz culminated in a damp squib of a 0-0 draw, away to Real Mallorca.

Questions were asked, none more loudly than why star signing Mesut Ozil and his German compatriot Sami Khedira started on the bench. Of course, Mourinho had answers – although they were quite sad ones really.

Speaking to one of the less mental Spanish sports papers, AS, Jose revealed both players haven’t had the easiest start to their Real Madrid careers:

Life for the two Germans is not an easy life. They don’t speak a single word of Spanish. They only say ‘buenos días’ and ‘hola’. They don’t go further.

The work we do in field is intense and luckily I have an assistant who speaks some German and gives them my instructions. But it’s not easy for them to get my message as I wanted.

Besides, social life with the group is still zero for them. Khedira lives with Özil and Özil lives with Khedira. Their entry into the group is not easy yet, even though the group is young, friendly and easy to deal with. They don’t even speak English well. They speak it a little better than Spanish, but it’s so hard that way. Patience, we have to give them time.

Awww. That’s the closest The Spoiler has come to sympathising with a football player, ever. Still couldn’t quite do it, mind you.

[via ONTD Football]

• zztop // September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

wot? Real can’t afford to get them a full time interpretor for a few months while they are adjusting?

• venga malaga // September 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Is this how Real operate? They spend £25 million signing the only two Germans in the world who can’t speak perfect English.
    Also they can’t speak Spanish (or Portugese).
    So, they can’t actually play for the team because they dont know what the fuck they are supposed to do? “Luckily” (!!!!!) Mourinho has an assistant who can help translate.
    Quality bit of planning there chaps, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• justarattlesnake // September 1, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Agreed — if Real can’t even be bothered to help their expensive new signings acclimate, they’re even dumber than I thought

• Sophie Stepover // September 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Isn’t there an onus on the multi-million dollar players to invest in the skills needed at their new place of employ? I know that if I accepted a job in France…chances are I’d need to know some basic French so if there wasn’t enough time for me to do an intensive immersion course…I’d hire my own interpreter.

Look at that player who chartered a plane to get him to training on time. He didn’t make excuses. He just got the job done. That’s what “professional” means.

• Gennifer with a G // September 2, 2010 at 12:53 am

Wow. I speak German, Spanish and English.

“The Special One” really needs me; what a fantastic feeling.

Where do I apply for that job?

• Fat Nakago // September 2, 2010 at 5:19 am

They could have learned a few useful phrases on the plane, and so?

THIS one would certainly come in handy:

“¿Podría usted dirigirme a la instalación médica más cercana? Mi pene ha sido golpeado por el relámpago.”

And to build team spirit, THIS would certainly endear them to their team-mates:

“¡¡Cagomos en la leche de tu puta madre, **insert name or nickname of opposing team or player here**!! ¡¡¡¡HA HA HA!!!!”

• TangoAlphaLima // September 2, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I’m kind of shocked that Oezil and Khedira don’t speak English well. In the German education system, children are required to learn a second language, and a large majority choose to learn English.

• anthonyOA // September 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I have no idea why Madrid bought these two. They have a perfectly capable defnsive and offensive midfielders already @ the club.