DUCK TALES

Remember not to buy Ashley Young’s autobiography

On this evidence, It’ll be a load of old bollocks.

ashleylies.jpg

Jet-heeled winger Ashley Young, a moderately well-off man’s David Bentley, drew the short straw over the weekend and was sent out to face the press ahead of England‘s yawnsome Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro.

Ever the self-promoter, Young took the opportunity to regale the nation’s media with a story underlining his testicular fortitude.

The Aston Villa midfielder, in line to get his first England start tomorrow, was asked the thoroughly original question ‘Are you nervous?’ Came the reply:

I’m never nervous. Some players get nervous all the time but I’m not like that.

The only time I was ever nervous was when I made my Watford debut as a sub against Millwall. Kevin Muscat’s first words to me were, ‘Don’t go past me or I’ll break your legs’.

I was 18 and it wasn’t the nicest thing to hear but the nerves left me after that and all my focus went into doing well.

I did go past Muscat and I scored as well.

Oh, Ashley! *swoon* Maybe The Spoiler was wrong about you after a…

ayoungeh.jpg

Oh.

Well, at least he wasn’t lying about the goal…

• Tom // October 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

“From that day the nerves left me and I concentrated on playing. I scored and I also didn’t say anything to him at the end. When someone says that to you, when you are 18 and you are coming on for your first game, it is not the nicest thing to hear. You just have to get on with it. He just said it to wind me up. Whether you bite the bait and take it is down to each individual player. I don’t think any player goes out to try and hurt their opponents.”

That is the quote that every other website seems to have …

• Bryan // October 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Didn’t Ashley Young say it was in the warm-up?

*checks reputable newspaper*

Yes. Yes he did. I guess that’s what you get for using the Sun as a source.

Mind, this whole article reads like a hatchet job. Bit sad really.

• Webcam // October 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

And the point of this article is what exactly?

• Frem // October 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I would like to see us sign robbie keane i think he would be a great team signing what do you think guys?

• Paul // October 11, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Who says he went past him TO score? He said he went past him and scored, 2 separate statements

• pat harley // October 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm

richard gilzene well havn’t you just made a fool out of yourself…why would you make an article on this for? You sound like an immature jeolous schoolchild. Like paul said he may have gone past him in the game and scored it’s completely two different things, need some more brain cells there Gilzene, stick to the day job writing articles isnt your thing

• Avram Magic // October 11, 2010 at 2:57 pm

The last two comments seem to be missing the point even though there’s an image to clearly illustrate it! Muscat was sent off in the 45th minute, Young came on in the 76th, so how could Young have gone past him, unless he did so on the way out of the stadium later that night?

• To Paul and Pat Harley // October 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm

The author of this post must be struggling to keep himself from falling of his chair in laugher.

You’ve been made to look like the petty idiots that you are and he didn’t even write a single word in response to your drivel.

Thanks Avram Magic for pointing out their stupidity

• Bryan // October 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I think my point was that the quote the author uses was not what Ashley Young actually said in the press conference.

No mention of going past anyone.

• Paul // October 11, 2010 at 4:42 pm

To avram magic and the guy agreeing… Says further up on another comment that he really said he did it DURING THE WARM UP… So as I said, 2 separate statements by Young, so don’t try and be clever :-) not once did I say it was all done during the game…

• Paul // October 11, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Reading the article printed above I admit i misunderstood about the warm up bit, but as shown Young never said what he’s been accused of saying anyway, so the point of the article is…?

• Richard Gilzene // October 11, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Hello Bryan.

We could have a ‘reputable newspaper’ fight – your Telegraph versus my Guardian

But, to quote a great man, it’d be a ‘bit sad, really.’

• moocher // October 11, 2010 at 6:35 pm

The only load of bollocks Ican see is this website!
    If this is the quality of the editorials then I will not bother any more!

• Jermaine // October 12, 2010 at 9:50 am

lol, the guardian article also says it was in the warm up…

Telegraph:
    “Ashley Young will never forget his professional debut and the crude advice offered by an opponent, Kevin Muscat. “Don’t go past me or I’ll break your legs,” warned the notorious Millwall defender. And that was in the warm-up.”

Guardian:
    “When I made my debut [for Watford, against Millwall, in 2003], that’s the only time … Kevin Muscat’s first words to me [during the warm up] were: ‘Don’t go past me or I will break your legs.’…”

As for Young’s claim he went past Muscat, well, its easy to forget who you burn as a winger. Its not like you’re paying close attention to who you’re up against. Your focus is the ball.

• The definition of Irony // October 12, 2010 at 10:46 am

People wasting their time and ours to complain on an internet forum that their time was wasted.
    —————————————————-
    To be honest, i’d buy the Ashley Young book to read about the time he was a drug dealer kingpin on the streets of Baltimore with Glen Johnson

• AJ // October 12, 2010 at 11:11 am

I can only assume the writer is a grumpy Spuds fan after writing such made up quotes.

Look, he turned you down to stay at a proper club. Deal with it

You’ve still got Bentley after all LOL

• tom t // October 13, 2010 at 11:22 am

AJ wins, full stop.

• Is Ashley Young trying to ‘do a Rooney’ over new contract? | The Spoiler // January 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

[...] from the Ashley Young Defence League* Ashley YoungAston Villa Oct [...]