THE CALCIUM KID

Rafa Benitez throws cryptic milk-based jab at ex Liverpool owners Hicks and Gillett

A change of scenery has not quelled this man’s oddity

rafamilkrant.jpg

Inter manager Rafa Benitez has given Liverpool’s outgoing owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett a parting gift in the form of an esoteric speech revolving around milk, pointing the blame for his turbulent last months at Anfield at their appointment of current Liverpool MD Christian Purslow.

Rafa told reporters:

I prefer not to talk too much about Liverpool. I prefer not to talk about this because I feel really sorry for the fans. I was watching the fans and I was really sad after the defeat the other day.

We have a saying in Spanish, which is: ‘White liquid in a bottle has to be milk’. [Unless you live in the San Fernando Valley.]

What does this mean? It means that after 86 points and finishing second in the league, what changed? The Americans, they chose a new managing director and everything changed. So, what changed?

The managing director is involved in all the decisions: new lawyer, new chief of press, new manager, nine new players, new medical staff, new fitness coaches – they changed everything.

At the beginning, they changed the managing director who was talking with some players, and they changed everything that we were doing in the past.

So, if you want to ask again what was going on, it’s simple: they changed something and, at the end, they changed everything.

So, white liquid in a bottle: milk. You will know who is to blame.

Ever so slightly confusing, not least because he’s managed to say ‘changed’ eight times in six successive sentences.

When asked to further elaborate, Benitez cleared up any confusion by replying:

White liquid in a bottle. If I see John the milkman in the Wirral, where I was living, with this bottle, I’d say, ‘It’s milk, sure’.

Unless one of you lot can decode this milk nonsense, we’ll have to assume he’s actually f**king mental.

• Dan // October 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Aye, f**king mental he is, but then so are Jose, Fergie and Wenger so were Shanks and Clough. I think to be a top manager you have to be a bit f**king mental.

What Rafa’s saying is spot on the yanks screwed things up, the rbs men (broughton, purslow & ayre) came in and changed too much. Rafa’s record at LFC speaks for it’s self also he still loves the fans and the club – I’d have him back tomorrow.

I admit that I don’t understand all this milk shite though… but is it much differant to waitrose eggs or seagulls following trawlers?

• Mish // October 19, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Everything Dan said.

• Seth // October 20, 2010 at 2:32 am

alright. for those who don’t understand the milk…
    it’s decryption time.

he’s saying when you look at a club that’s struggled, you don’t look at it and say “oh, it’s the backup goalkeeper that’s caused it” or “oh, perhaps it’s the water boys poisoning us”. you look at the club, and you look for the most obvious culprits and they’re probably the ones to blame. the most obvious culprits in this case are, as rafa said, the owners who changed everything. the white substance (the damned responsible) is exactly what it appears to be, milk (gillete and hicks) and not some mystery substance that you may want to label it as (a youth player or a waterboy).

I hope that helps you crazy bastards.
    As you were.

• Fat Nakago // October 20, 2010 at 4:26 am

I think what he was trying to convey regarding Hicks and Gillette and all that dross was THIS quant Spanish phrase involving milk:

“¡¡Cagomos en la leche de tu puta madre!! “

• Rafa B // October 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

You see they were all facts… no.

He was taking my milk and switching it with something else… that is a fact… no.

Fact… Jose Mourinho should have some of this milk too that puta madre!…. no.

• Sophie Stepover // October 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Rafa doesn’t love the fans. He loves himself and is secretly gloating that his replacement is doing worse than he was.

• Coolface // October 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm

@Sophie Stepover
    I want to talk about facts. Rafa’s £96,000 donation of his own money to a supporters group contradicts your first sentence.

• Sophie Stepover // October 20, 2010 at 3:10 pm

@Coolface

I applaud his generosity in that instance.

• Mish // October 21, 2010 at 4:17 am

Rafa’s a legend.

He came, he delivered trophies and our highest points finish in the Prem and he was got shut of for making waves.

I, and the majority of supporters would have him back tomorrow.

@Sophie Stepover

If you knew anything of the man you wouldn’t accuse him of selfishness and gloating. Saying that (and not being aware of the Hillsborough donation) just underlines your ignorance.