MAICON TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT

So, how much would YOU pay for Gareth Bale?

Before Spurs fans pipe up, we know he’s not for sale

gbale.jpg

All the appropriate superlatives appear to have been used up by the gentlemen folk of the press last night, but basically, if you hadn’t already guessed, the boy’s a bit special.

Considering Tottenham were all but ready to ship him off to Nottingham Forest for a couple of quid and a packet of Haribo this time last year, last night marked an incredible turnaround for the 21-year-old Welshman.

Inevitably, his recent performances beg the question: how much would you expect your club to shell out to land Gareth Bale?

N.B. They also raise another, less important question: what are those black things hanging out of his shorts?

Highlights from last night’s clash after the jump.

15 minute highlights, courtesy of 101 Great Goals:

• Ed // November 3, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I think £20m would probably be about right in todays world of football. Also, the black things hanging from his shorts are most likely bits of that tape sports people use instead of bandages these days.

• anthonyOA // November 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

uh… no Ed.

Just signed a new 4 year contract earlier this year and he’s under 22.

Pato was going for £40million @ 19 to chelsea. Spurs should ask for no less than £35million for a young sought-after winger.

You wouldn’t be able to buy one of those strips of black tape stuck on his thighs for £20million, Ed.

• ph0bolus // November 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm

It’s kinesio tape. Should take a look at Beckham nowadays it’s all over his body.

• Ed // November 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

£35m? Sorry but football has just gone too mad if that’s what he’s worth. I remember when Andy Cole went to United for £7m and how ridiculous that seemed at the time. Gareth Bale’s value should not suddenly go up to £35-40m just because he played well for a few games.

• Tim // November 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

£35 million is far too much. We know he’s good, but how good will he be in the next season or so. Agree completelly with Ed, no way in hell would I fork out that sort of money on a player who’s performances have only started to kick in now.

Great talent, but far too early to assume he’s the real deal. No more than £15 million for me, which unfortunately Tottenham wouldn’t consider enough.

• Henry // November 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Like it or not I’m with anthony, in today’s market I think nothing less than £35 million would even be considered for a player of his quality. Though to be honest from what I’ve seen of him so far this season I think he maybe one of the few whose worth every penny..

• Sophie Stepover // November 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Precision. Power. Explosive Speed. Intelligence. Youth. 30 million for sure. Anybody who can shred Inter ‘s defence…and Maicon in particular …is worthy of hero status–even if he’s only 21.

• Ed // November 3, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Sorry, but, while I’ll admit he has been in great form lately, he’s only really shown pace and the ability to cross. He hasn’t shown a complete and fully rounded game just yet. He was totally annonymous against Man United the other day, asides from one wide shot he didn’t bother the United defence at all. I think he will mature and go on to be a truly great player, but I don’t think at this moment he should command a fee in excess of £20m. Thats not saying it wont happen, because as I already said, football has gone mad, but it shouldn’t reach anywhere near that until he’s played that well all season against the biggest clubs in the premier league. Inter just can’t deal with pace. Walcott could have done the exact same job and nobody would think he was worth £35m even though he’s arguably done more than Bale up to this point.

• jamajam // November 3, 2010 at 9:35 pm

i dont think it was bale.. inter simply couldt deal with his pace ! Evra didnt let him move last week! inters defense is worn out ,, samule and lucio dont have the mobility to play at this level!
    still bale did a fantastic job ! so 25 mil is the price i offered on master league

• SPOT // November 4, 2010 at 8:24 am

Phil Neville had him in his back pocket a few weeks ago. The boy has ability but talk of 35-40 million is bonkers. He took Maicon by surprise and I blame Benitez for that. I could not imagine Mourinho would allow that to happen to his team.

• Dr Evil // November 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

One Billion Dollars *pinky to mouth*

• John // November 4, 2010 at 11:29 am

The black tape is kinesio tape, I play a bit of 5 a side and suffer with hamstring problems. Saw the awesome Gareth Bale wearing tape, looked it up and found a site retailing it sporttape.co.uk. This stuff really works! I may not play like Bale but defo in less pain now!

• Terry Tibbs // November 4, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Harry… Bale… talk to me!!

How about I start you off on 17.50…

i tell you what im going to do. what im going to do is take you 3 grand. give it a wiggly wig wig. and there you go.

I get Bale and you get a lambo. yours to own in precisely 30 years with a final payment.

• Dorothy // November 8, 2010 at 10:51 pm

You can get actual Kinesio Tape at http://www.kinesiotaping.co.uk or through your physiotherapist.

• Adam // January 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Im sorry Ed but you clearly haven’t watched many spurs games because you don’t jnow what your talking about. Firstly he has not only had a few good games he has been amazing for the last year. Secondly your comment about lets see how good he is in the next year is rubbish. I think most people would agree that experience will only help him improve. Also how on earth can you possibly say that walcott has done more than him bale??? Walcott has a few good games every year and lives off the hype, when bale has a bad game e.g. everton, man utd somehow that means that he is not actually very good. Walcott wouldnt have done the same thing by the way because lennon also as pace and he wasnt half as effective against zanetti, usain bolt has pace but id like to see him do what bale does.