Nice Team

The greatest ever Aston Villa XI

Yeah, not bad…

Aston Villa

With this evening’s big local Carling Cup hoofing competition only hours away, The Spoiler’s resident Villa fan thought it high time to put together a team of greats.

No place for their 800trillion Gerard Houllier Dollars man, Ashley Young, and The Spoiler was particularly disappointed by the lack of Tony Daley in the side.

But has he got it right? And more importantly, who’s going to win tonight’s match?

Those looking to make money on Villa’s short bus ride to Birmingham would be wise to click here.

• lala // December 1, 2010 at 12:56 pm

mellberg was always overrated for me. just because he had a sexy beard and was better looking than brad pitt. gareth barry, also, never really performed well at left back – only until graham taylor, i think, moved him to midfield he started to stand out.

• Dudley Villan // December 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

With quality right-backs such as Gidman, Swain and Barrett you have Mellberg as our best right back!! Who picked this side, Martin O’Neill?

And where is Brian Little?

• 1981villain // December 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Someone with a short memory – greatest ever? maybe greatest team of the 80′s and 90′s.
    I say think about Charlie Aitken – Gerry Hitchens – Brian Little – Andy Gray -Johnie Dixon…..

• CK // December 1, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I don’t mind the team and coming from a relatively young Villa fan I can’t think of anyone else from my era who deserves to be included.

I’m glad Mellberg is in there somewhere, even though I agree that right-back was not his best position.

In reply to Dudley Villan, I would rather have Mellberg over Earl Barrett. Can’t comment on your other two suggestions as they were before my time.

• NoEllis82 // December 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Best ever? So where’s Harry Hampton? I’d take Rimmer and Bosnich over Spink. Laursen or Evans over Southgate and Mellberg. And Little, Gray (1st time), Waring, Ford or Shaw over Withe. And Barry? Really? Come on …

• JoshBurt // December 1, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Still no mention of Tony Daley. This is VERY disappointing.

• Phil // December 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Erm, er… Tony Daley in there somewhere, maybe? Just a thought…

• JoshBurt // December 1, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Thanks Phil.

• Fat Nakago // December 2, 2010 at 3:09 am

They could have used that side today.

City 2 Villa 1

Does this count as a Birmingham derby?