a big question

Should Joey Barton be in the England squad?

Barton! Smiling!

barton.jpg

Imagine for a moment that you’re interviewing for a job at a bakery. You’re the best person for that job – the other guys going for it are past it or too inexperienced to do the baking as well as you can.

But you don’t get the job because the chief baker is worried about your influence on the children who come in for their yum yums – you’ve got a criminal record and you said some uncomplimentary things about the other bakers during your work experience placement four years ago. Damn it.

Anyway, that rather strained metaphor leads us seamlessly to the crux of the matter – should Joey Barton be allowed to play for England?

If form was the only consideration, then surely Barton would be in the latest England squad. But he’s not. Sadly for him, you have to be a clean cut role model like John Terry or Wayne Rooney to be in the frame for an international call-up.

Now, The Spoiler isn’t suggesting that rutting away with a teammate’s ex or a lady of the night is anywhere near as bad as a six month sentence for assault or the numerous other ‘misdemeanours’,  but they’re hardly perfect people to look up to.

Barton has served his time and everyone can change, can’t they? Can’t they?

Double standards? Or should Barton continue be punished for his crimes?

Let us know with a vote so your informed ideas can be reduced to a number. If you’re not comfortable with that, add a little comment as well…

• Chicha Rita // February 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Last I heard, countries take a dim view of criminals trying to get past border control at the airports.

Might be difficult for the England team to sneak little Joey past the customs/immigration folk during international competitions.

• Fat Nakago // February 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm

If England ever wants to win anything, absolutely hell yes!!

• R2Dad // February 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm

If England want to play with 10 men at some point, then go ahead. He’s fine for the rugby league (EPL) but international games will not allow for his hacking play.

• Como Perder Kilos // February 8, 2011 at 4:17 am

Who’s that guy? I’m from mexico and I don’t know very well the players that play in England. Could someone tell me where this guy play?

• The Anti-Snood // February 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

Personally think he deserves the call up. Kind of glad he hasn’t been though, it wouldn’t be particularly good for Newcastle if he were to be injured for their next six “winnable” games. (Blackburn, Birmingham, Bolton, Everton, Stoke, Wolves)

Also think Danny Simpson easily deserves a shout ahead of Glen Johnson.

• RIP Spoiler // February 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

As if the drastic decline in the quality of the posts here wasn’t proof enough the link above shows that somebody hasn’t been paying attention to the previous editor’s work.

• Richard Anderson // February 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

Dear RIP Spoiler,

Firstly, sorry you feel the site has hit the skids, rest assured that the old regime will be back in charge soon enough – I’m just a January loan signing until the previous editor returns.

Now, with regards to the other Joey Barton post on NOVEMBER 5TH 2008, if you’d have asked ME – not even the ex-ex-editor of the site – on NOVEMBER 5TH 2008, then my opinion would’ve been different. I’ve said lots of things in the past I now don’t believe – Cristiano Ronaldo has no end product, I’d always love my ex-girlfriend – things change.

I’m also pretty sure a lot of the 73% of people who voted for him to be in the England squad would’ve had a different opinion back then too.

The point of the piece of was to provoke debate to see what people thought. The thoughts and opinions of The Spoiler readers genuinely interest me (and I’d imagine you) because it’s almost always well thought out and very rarely descends into YouTube-esq ‘your mum’ stuff.

With regards to editorial consistency – we’re all entitled to our opinions, no?

The only thing we try to do is not to be mean for the sake of it. It’s easy to write about how horrible footballers are BLAH, BLAH, BLAH in relative anonymity, but being a pr*ck for the sake of being a pr*ck impresses no-one.

If possible I’ll try and stick up for players and give them the benefit of the doubt – there are plenty of other people all too happy to give them a kicking. Maybe that will change, who knows?

But, as I said, we’re all entitled to our opinions and yours have been duly noted and taken on board – hopefully we can be friends?

Regards