A controversial idea

Are we allowed to stop hating Ashley Cole yet?

Predicted first comment: “No”

colesmall.jpg

Time is a great healer. However, it’s magic is unable to heal things like gunshot wounds or, it appears, that gaping, seeping chasm of a gash that is people’s hatred for Ashley Cole.

Earlier this week he was voted England’s player of the year and tonight is due to become the most capped full-back of all time, overtaking another ex-Arsenal player, Kenny Sansom.

So, is it time for a begrudging respect tinged with loathing to blossom into something more wholesome? (Arsenal fans are exempt)

Right, the bad stuff. He left Arsenal for money and trophies, then ‘wrote’ ‘that’ line in his autobiography – it’s probably the most controversial sentence since Nelson Mandela’s.

He split up with the most beautiful and perfect woman in the world after throwing up over a hairdresser he was tupping and sending pictures of himself in his Y-fronts to ladies who weren’t his wife (a woman convicted of ‘assault occasioning actual bodily harm’ who is now loved by the nation).

He took another step back when he sent a text message to a ‘friend’ after the World Cup saying:

“I hate England and the f***ing people.”

However, for years he’s been one of the best left-backs in the world and was England’s only decent performer in South Africa. He’s kept his head down since his split with Our Cheryl and not let his personal life affect his form like a certain Mr Rooney. And only last week travelled to Leicester to lend support to on-loan 20-year-old Chelsea left-back, Patrick van Aanholt, who was playing for the Foxes against Barnsley.

Is it time to put the past behind us and make Ashley our favourite Cole? Or is he still the epitome of all that is wrong with the game? Let us know what you think with a comment below…

• internet pundit // February 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm

• Milos // February 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm

The hate must continue

• CTID // February 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Professionally – He’s been the best left back for some time. Consistent throughout his career.

As a person – Plenty of people have cheated before. Just because it’s Cheryl doesn’t make it any worse. His loss.

Never hated anyone. Including Cole.

• Chicha Rita // February 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm

As a human being, he could use a brain filter.

As a player, he’s solid.

• Richard Keys // February 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm

The most important question is… can he still smash it?

• Andy Gray // February 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Take a bow son, take a bow.

• Andy // February 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I feel like a paedophile admitting to some terrible crime here, but I always liked Ashley Cole, even after ‘that line’ in his autobiography and his cheating on Cheryl Cole. And I don’t even like Chelsea.

I obviously don’t know him at all, but I just think Ashely Cole would make a good friend for some reason.

• Lazello // February 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I met Ashley Cole once, about 4 years ago.

To be fair, he was all right. Basically just seemed like a normal bloke… dare I say it, quite a shy one too. This was before his barmaid vomiting, nation cussing ejection from Cheryl’s love garden though….

I’m not 100% sure how this moves the debate forward, but there you have it.

• Andrew J // February 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm

What was “that line” for those of use who aren’t in the secret club?

• Richard Anderson // February 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Andrew,

The line was: When I heard Jonathan (Barnett) repeat the figure of £55k, I nearly swerved off the road.

The full context is:

“Ash! Are you listening?” said a virtually hyperventilating Jonathan. “I’m here in the office and David Dein is saying they aren’t going to give you £60k a week. They’ve agreed £55k and this is their best and final offer. Are you happy with that?”

When I heard Jonathan (Barnett) repeat the figure of £55k, I nearly swerved off the road. “He is taking the piss, Jonathan!” I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed.”

Nice, innit?

• elcynico // February 10, 2011 at 12:00 am

I don’t care how much money he makes, I don’t care who he sleeps with or vomits on. None of those are crimes. He hasn’t beaten up a DJ, murdered someone with his car or taken bribes to throw a game. So what’s his crime?

• jmac // February 10, 2011 at 12:32 am

Him traveling to support the 20 year old seems a step out of what we hear about him. If it was true, good for him. Never hated him and he always preforms on the field. I don’t look to him as a role model nor do I want to…just play well and he always, always has.

• brian // February 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

If you hate him for his crimes off the field, then who on England are you going to support? Think about it, he’s almost no better and no worse then the rest of that lot when it comes to his outside life. Terry, Lampard, Rooney, Crouch, Carroll, Gerrard, Rio, (probably) Beckham, etc.

• Phil // February 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Let’s be honest though, putting that line in his autobiography was a staggering lack of self awareness. If there’s one thing guaranteed to rile the average man about a footballer, it’s greed. Bearing in mind the target market of his book, who did he think was going to read it and go “you know what, that definitely justifies his decision to force a move from Arsenal” ?

• elcynico // February 11, 2011 at 12:45 am

The jealousy and envy shown by some of these posters is turning the page green.

• Skyman // February 11, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I bet most of his haters have done at least one of the things Ashley has done (except earn his wages). His employers chose to pay his wage. No one forced them to and he certainly plays well for the money.
    Cheryl who ?

• Yusuf, Lagos-Nigeria // February 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm

People are entitled to their opinion, whether they like him or not he is enjoying what he knows how to do best. Why so much hate? anything that has to do with chelsea players the media seems to blow it up, Rio, Crouch, Rooney etc commits same crime and heaven doesn’t fall. It’s high time people learn to appreciate his game and contributions to the development of the game in UK and the world at large.

• Absolutely mental weekend 1: Ashley Cole SHOOTS someone | The Spoiler // January 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm

[...] and it’s safe to say that our little poll we ran a few weeks ago may have a slightly different outcome [...]