Merde stuff

Blanc looks to be out on his arse after French racism row

Laurent Blanc – not Noir

blanc.jpg

If there was one thing that helped stop thousands of English football fans throwing themselves in front of buses or drinking even more than usual last summer it was this thought – at least England’s World Cup wasn’t as bad as France’s.

It was a disastrous campaign for the French that saw walk-outs, strops and a bottom placed finish in their group. Boss Raymond Domenech was subsequently sacked and Laurent Blanc was put in place to turn things around.

Somehow things seem to have got even worse…

Pretty much ALL of the French media are reporting that Blanc is so close to the boot that he can smell the dubbin – and here’s why…

At a meeting last November with French head honchos, there was a disagreement about how best to teach football to French youngsters. Should they recruit strong, athletic players (as Britain seems to have done forever) or go for the more technically gifted whippersnappers (a philosophy Spain are reaping the rewards of)?

Blanc wanted to pursue the second option. Quite right, many will feel. Well Done. However, how he chose to phrase his argument was far less admirable. He said:

“You have the impression that they really train the same prototype of players: big, strong, powerful … What is there that is currently big, strong, powerful? The blacks. That’s the way it is. It’s a current fact. God knows that in the training centres and football schools there are loads of them.”

Blanc is also thought to have said this:

“I’m basing this on the Spanish example where they have few problems because they don’t have any black players.”

It’s a sad state of affairs, although, in the interest of fairness, it should be noted that the French FA deny everything and this was recorded on tape by French football official/whitleblower Mohammed Belkacemi in a private meeting.

Still, no excuse is it? Let us know what you think about things with a comment below…

• Eric // May 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I thought this had to do with players of dual nationality. And this comes out on cinco de mayo…Bad day to be French.

• Austin Ngenge // May 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Its nothing about nationality.This is plain racism and blacks are always the target for that.This boss doesnt even appreciate the fact that France got to win its first and only world cup title because it boasted a huge plethora of black talents.Shame to you, if you cannot accept the contribution of blacks to the tricolour what else will you appreciate from blacks? However it comes as no surprise to me because its the same racist spat that divided the team in South Africa accounting for their dismal performance.And that with this kind of boss will only continue to be….

• sam // May 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

this is a totaly disgrace i cant expect mr blanc to be saying this . Thus black offended u. After all in france national team black is more dan white. Also if u dont want black u dont need to call them to the camp y are u critisizing blacks u are so disgracefull

• This is bullshit // May 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Who gives a fuck???
    If they kick Blanc off because of this ALLEGED comment, we know the world has gone to hell

• Sad // May 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm

This would be terribly disappointing if Blanc was sacked because of this. He’s a brilliant manager who’s destined for great things and it would be an utter shame to see his career collapse in this manner.

• Josie // May 6, 2011 at 3:34 am

I don’t know how good this guy is, but could they have corrected him and given him a warning first? Put him in some kind of sensitivity training? It is an ignorant statement he made, but if they don’t have many other choices a short-term punishment for his first offense could have sufficed.

• James // May 6, 2011 at 6:45 am

Does Anelka qualify as a big, black guy? lol. What about Evra?

• poppy // May 6, 2011 at 8:56 am

C’mon people, its true — its no secret that black people have naturally stronger bodies. Just because a white guy says it, everyone jumps to some racist argument. Calm down, keep Blanc.

• Egbe Kwamu Nana // May 6, 2011 at 11:04 am

What does he mean by the fact that Span has got few problems because they have no Blacks? This is outrageous. Did he (Blanc) not play alongside Blacks in the 1998 wold cup? In fact he was a problem because he almost cost France he title due to his suspension. Has Brazil, with so many blacks not taken the world cup many times? Who was the players who scored their equalizing goal in the Euro2000 Final? Who gave them two goals that put them ahead of the semifinals against Croatia in 1998 World Cup?
    This is open racism, and Blanc should be banned from football competitions as this shows his open racism and bias towards black players.

• TallChief42 // May 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

There’s plenty of big, powerful white, latin and other players. (None of the center halves on my team, Luiz, Terry, Alex, Ivanovic, are black but all are powerful, especially Ivanovic. Have you seen his physique, especially his lower body?)

Stupid comments but they should make him have to be dealt with, not just shrugged off or him being kicked to the curb. That’s the problem with racism. People either downplay it, which is insensitive and downright shameful, or they overreact. (Some racism is outright ugly though, like those racist fans who painted their skin black and held up monkey signs, so lashing out, while leading to violence, is understood).

Make him have to work on this. Don’t just discard him.

• Jimbo // May 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Its a very sad indicment of the french mentality really, he is saying what many french actually think. France is a country fraught with racial tension and this kind of thing is particularly unhelpful. If the issues with the french squad were racially motivated, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, then they would not be the first team to suffer from this, Holland being a very clear example, but this is a wider problem of society not football. I dont see how Blanc can continue in a role with a largely ethnic squad after such comments

• Josie // May 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

@James

“And why don’t they want North African players? Because Nasri’s technique is lacking?

Good point. Chamakh has good skills as well and there is isn’t anything bulky or big about him.

• Josie // May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm

@Jimbo,

I think Europe in general is in a transitional period when it comes to race relations and immigration. There was a time when Europe was more “tolerant” than let’s say America. But I think since the proportions of immigrants is growing in some countries like France, they are starting to show their fear.

I fear it will get worse before it gets better.

• Josie // May 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

@ Tallchief,

“I’m a black man. While I find it despicable that some of you clowns would shrug your shoulders at these comments, thus showing your insensitivity, I also say that he should have been suspended, not fired (sacked). A suspension, forced public apology, donation & work with black youth and/or sensitivity training would have sufficed. “

I agree with the above. I suspect that Luiz maybe mixed race, more likely black.

• TallChief42 // May 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Josie, I still see more tolerance in Europe than here in the states. I feel like I get treated more like a person than a black man there. Some people and places are racist but overall, I, as an american, don’t feel it as much there. But France continues to have problems so we’ll see how it goes there.

• Josie // May 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm

@TallChief,

I’m an American and married to a Swiss German. I find through my observations that Europeans are friendlier to black Americans than blacks from third world countries. Similar to how Americans tend to treat non-American blacks better in the United States. But I would also agree that there are less “social” boxes imposed on blacks in Europe as there are in America.

However, I have had many Africans and some Caribbeans complain to me that Europe has a glass ceiling for blacks if they have aspirations to lead or be a white collar professional. They say they have better success in the United States if they have higher ambitions than being a rank and file worker.

• TallChief42 // May 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm

You’re so right, Josie. I have a few African friends over here in the states and they are treated better, kind of like “the cute foreigner” thing. Higher income people, those that are human, like to feel like they helped out so they’ll “lend a helping hand” to people in desperate situations in their homelands and what have you. But when they try to move up, either over here or in Europe, it gets dicier because the whole “I don’t want you coming after my job” thing comes into play.

My friend in Austria said what you said though. That black Americans are treated better over there.

• john // May 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm

this is so disguting and sad but nonetheless thats just the way it is.let the black players play for their clubs and trace their route back to africa and try playing for their african countries like what drogba and kanoute did and lets see how they would survive.the white pple know how to use we blacks but its sad for france and football.look @ the baseball league,the NFL and the NBA..its made up of blacks thats why its so competitive,entertaining and lucrative because of guys like kobe bryant,reggie bush,alex rodriguez and so on.A team without blacks tend to suffer when they face the test of time..laurent blanc i am so dissapointed in you…

• tonyspeed // May 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm

The whole idea that black people are inherently more powerful, stronger and bigger is racist. I’ve heard it for many years from these commentators. Every time a black person gets the ball, they make some comment about him being powerful and large. If you didn’t realise that idea is coming all the way from social Darwinism when people said Africans are close relatives of guerrillas…
    I don’t hear commentators commenting on how strong and powerful Ronaldo is for 5 minutes.